Prologue

I walked hand in hand with my mother and father. We were visiting South Korea for vacation, and we were really enjoying it. I smiled while we walked together towards a post office, to send some pictures to my friends back in America. My dad walked towards the counter, since he knew how to speak Korean, while my mother and I didn't and sat on a pair of chairs. I smiled at my mother, and she smiled back at me, handing me a magazine. I looked at the pictures, which was all I could do. "Aidee, look! There's a concert tomorrow of that boy band you like," my mother said, pointing at the advertisement. I had gotten into this group called BTS recently, as well to the genre of K-pop. I was still new to this, but I knew most of their songs. "Can we go?" I asked enthusiastically. She chuckled. "Let's see what your father w-" my mother was interrupted by a gunshot being fired inside.

I turned to see my father had fallen to the ground, which was now covered in blood. "Dad!-" three more gunshots were heard, so I shut my eyes and covered my ears. When I opened them, there was a man standing in front of me, gun in his hand. He smirked and pointed his gun, and fired. He had shot and killed my mother. He kept on smirking as he left the office, as he left me behind to cry over the death of my parents. After a while, the police came, putting police tape all over. A woman officer approached my crying form. "It's alright, it's gonna be okay." I couldn't understand what she was saying at that time. I didn't speak Korean, so I managed to choke out, "What? I-I don't understand you."

That's when she called a male police officer. He knelt to my height. "It's alright, young lady. Are you harmed?" He asked in English. I shook my head sideways. "Where are your parents?" He asked again. I cried harder and pointed at the now corpses of my parents. "You were on vacation?" I nodded once again, crying a bit harder. The nice police man hugged me and walked me outside, where he got me inside his police car and drove to their HQ. I sat at the lobby chairs, listening to music to calm down my sobs. There were nice ladies infront of me, in their desk. They were busy making calls, to see if they could reach my uncle or aunt. The nice policeman sat next to me. "What's your name?" He asked. I looked and him and tried to dry my tears. "A-Aidee," I responded. He wrote my name down on a paper. "How old are you?" "Fourteen." He wrote down again. He then handed me a peanut butter sandwich and said I could eat it, since I've been sitting there for three hours. I thanked him and ate half of it. One of the ladies called the policeman and told me to go up to her.

I did, and she gave me the phone. "Aidee? Aidee! Is that you?" I heard my aunt ask desperately. "Yes, auntie. I-Its me." I heard her sigh at the end of the line. "Thank goodness you're okay! I have news, darling. I need you to listen carefully." "Okay, I'm listening," I sniffed. "I can't take care of you. I lost my job, and your cousin got in jail again. Your uncle and I are getting a divorce. I can't bring you back to America with me." I started crying harder. "Aidee, I love you, but I can't. It's Impossible. They're probably gonna send you to an orphanage there in Korea, so please promise to manage. For your parents, okay? Now, please pass the phone back to the lady." I did as told without saying goodbye and sat back down, sobbing loudly.

The policeman rubbed circles in my back to comfort me. I heard the lady hang up and I looked up to see her shaking her head at the policeman. "It's going to be alright. You'll get through this." He said, hugging me. I hugged him back. After a while, I went with two policemen to the hotel to get my luggage and claim what was my parent's belongings, which they sent to my aunt. They got me ice cream, and drove me through the orphanage, where I signed in. I got a roommate, but I didn't speak to her, since I didn't know how to. Luckily, the caretaker was bilingual, so we could communicate, but that's about it.

I gave the policeman one last hug and said thank you before he left. I waved to him, and he waved back. I tried to smile, but couldn't bring myself to. Not with what I have gone through today. The caretaker soon showed me around the orphanage, and presented me with a school uniform. She then called two girls down. One had black, long hair, and the other short hair. "This is Sun," she motioned to the straight haired girl, "And this is Soomi. They'll be your guides until you get used to the surroundings. I'll tutor you in basic Korean, at least so you can speak some." I nodded and bowed at them. The caretaker talked to them, but then said it was time for bed. I sighed. It was gonna be long before I got adopted.