Ch.5 toughen up

There was the sound of moaning filling the prison. I grabbed someone's knife and tried to call for Rick and Glenn.

Carl came running in my direction. He handed me a gun, quickly showed me how to hold it, and gave me a nod. I nodded back, and then held the gun with outstretched arms.

I craned my neck, trying to look over the walkers. The sound of a gun fire went off, and I knew it was Carl.

"Shoot Carter!" he yelled. "you can do it." I held up my gun, and started to shoot. I missed almost every one, and then three were coming right at me.

I shot the first one in the shoulder, causing it's arm to fly off. then I shot it in the head. I stabbed the second one in the head, still not strong enough to pull the knife back out.

I then shot the last one, and looked at the bodies on the ground. "This happened yesterday night too." carl said, out of breath.

"My dad thinks there's a hole in one of the fences." He said. "Then shouldn't we cover it up?" I asked

"Well first we have to find it." he said
I looked at the blood on his face, and said, "I'll be right back."

I got a wet rag, and told him to sit down. I wiped up the walker blood from his cheeks. I tried avoiding his eyes, but our eyes met.

He gave me a big hug, and said thank you. "Your welcome." was all I managed to say.

The sun was starting to come up, and Rick and all the others came running towards us.

"Are you all right." Rick said out of breath. "We were fighting off some walkers that came in." I said.

"We were also fighting off walkers. There must be another hole on the other side of the prison." Glenn said while bending down. "How about we deal with this in a little bit. We can get cleaned up, and get some more rest." Rick said while nodding.

Carl and I got up, and walked to our cells. I fell asleep, but then thirty minutes later, the sun was shining in my eyes. I got up, and walked out of my cell.

"Good morning Carter." Mika said in a sweet voice. "morning Mika." I said.

I ate some of the canned food that they had on the table. I was starving. "How did you sleep?" Hershel asked while limping around. "I slept fine. Except for when the walkers came in." I said

"We should get going."said Rick. "Where to?"asked Maggie. "we need to find out where the walkers are coming from." He replied.

"Maggie, Glenn, Tyreese, Carol, and Bob stay together, and look on the east side." Rick said

"Carl, Daryl, Sasha, and I will be a group." He again said.

"Can I go?" I asked. "I think it would be best if you stayed here with Lizzie and Mika." Rick replied.

"No. I want to go. I need to toughen up, and I think this would be a good start." I said in the most stern voice I could possibly pull off.

"Alright then." Rick said while nodding his head in agreement.

Our two groups started to walk our separate ways. Our group walked to the west side, while Maggie and Glenn's group walked to the east side.

We turned around the second cell block, and saw something horrible.