Chapter 8

Laken's POV

          " Why didn't you tell me you weren't coming back?" Gabbie asked, clearly hurt. " It just happened today, peaches. I was going to tell you tomorrow, I promise," I respond. " But I found out from social media. I would've wanted you to tell me. You should've told me the second something happened. We're best friends."

          " You're right, I'm sorry," I apologize. She smiles. " Okay, now tell me who your new boy toy is. His name is Zach, right?" She pries. I laugh," His name is Zach, but he's not a boy toy. He's my best friend. Just a friend." She scoffs. " You're lying and I know it. I'm your best friend so I know that for a fact. So if he isn't your boyfriend, then you like him. I'm right, right?" She questions. " Like I said, best friend only," I smile. " Friends do NOT look at each other how you two look at each other. Best friends don't kiss each other," she smirks. " Screw you," I laugh then hang up on her. I text Zach good night before sitting my phone down and going to sleep. 

Zach's POV

          The boys stop me at the top of the stairs. " If you're not dating, you two really have to stop sucking each others faces off every five seconds," Daniel scolds. " What?" I laugh. He shows me yet another photo of Laken and I on Instagram. I attempt to conceal a smile. Personally, I don't care who sees what goes on between Laken and I, or who knows how I feel. I just want to be happy with her. I scoff, " So what, we're just friends." My eyes travel to the rest of the boys, waiting for them to back me up. " That's a lie," Corbyn says. " Definitely lying," Jonah adds. I roll my eyes and step past the boys. As I begin to turn into my room, Jack laughs under his breath before speaking, " So if I stood here and called her hot-" I cut Jack off immediately, " Don't use that word!" Jack grins, his grin taking the form of a devilish smirk as he continues, " or beautiful, stunning, gorgeous, breath-taking, and all other words to describe beauty, all of which she is, what would you do?" I take a breath and turn around. " I'd tell you to shut the hell up," I fuss, stepping closer to him. Jack smirks," That when I meet her I'm going to tell her that. You know maybe we'd end up together-" I interrupt Jack by shoving him back. I pin him against the wall, my forearm against his neck and my other hand balling back into a fist. " And maybe... we'd fall in love," Jack finally finishes, the sass tone in his voice lingering. " The hell you will," I yell, tightening the pressure placed against Jack's neck. Jack laughs," I think we proved our point. Have you been working out?" The boys laugh and I roll my eyes before shoving Jack against the wall once more. I walk away from the boys and make my way to my room. I see a text from Laken...

Laken 😍💎: Good Night, Handsom 😘

Good Night gorgeous 😉

          I smile at the photo of us on my lock screen before turning off my phone and rolling over. I just about close my eyes when my phone starts ringing. I sigh and groggily roll back over. Laken is calling me. I answer. " Hey Laken, you okay?" I asking, with raspiness in my voice. " Somebody broke into the building Logan's apartment is in, he ran off but I'm freaked out and Logan isn't here. I just needed to hear your voice," her voice shakes. I step off my bed and slip on my shoes. " I'm on my way over, hang tight, and lock your door until I get there," I say while walking around my room and grabbing my phone charger and a back with clothes in it to change into in the morning. " You don't have to come," Laken says while I rush down the stairs. " Nonsense, I'm already out the door," I say closing and locking the door behind me. " Okay, I'll see you when you get here," she states, rambling with the door. I hang up and pull out of the driveway. 

          I run to her door and knock a few times. A few seconds pass and she opens the door. I smile and pull her into a hug. " You look adorable in your PJs," She giggles. I look down at my white sleeveless shirt and flannel pants. We both laugh. "Thank you for coming, but you didn't have to," she smiles. I smile back at her, " Yes I did." I close the door behind us and lock it. She grabs my hand and pulls me to the couch. She's watching a movie. I take the seat at the edge of the couch and she sits beside me. " Did I wake you up?" she asks, pressing play on the tv. I shake my head no. And lean back. I lay down on the couch and Laken lays in front of me. I wrap my arm around her waist and before I know it, I was drifting off to sleep. 

Laken's POV

          I look up at Zach, who is fast asleep. I nestle a little closer to him and grab the blanket off the floor. I lay it on us and continue to watch tv. 

          Zach moves a lot in his sleep. He kept turning from side to side and moving his arms. He moves his legs and his head. After awhile of entertaining myself by watching Zach roll around I decide I should get some sleep. I use the light remote to turn off the lights and then I turn off the tv. I roll over to face Zach and get as close as I can. His arms wrap around me and I smile at him sleeping. My eyes start getting heavy and I decide to sleep. I close my eyes and bury my face into his chest. " Good night, Zach," I mumble. " Good night, beautiful"

Authors Note:

Word Count: 942

I'm going to sleep.