Chapter Five

"Dr. Styles."

"Dr. Styles, wake up."

Harry groans a little and opens his eyes only to see a wide eyed Niall standing in front of him. He has managed to take a nap after Evangeline's surgery after checking on her in her room. Niall who is slightly out of breath calls out of his name again making the surgeon looks up at him with questioning eyes.

"Evangeline Green's foster father is here," Niall said making Harry widen his eyes. He quickly wipes the sleep in his eyes while trying to get his mind straight.

Her foster father is here. Harry quickly grabs his coat and stethoscope before asking Niall to take him to the man. He didn't expect this. Evangeline has a case of abuse, abandonment and let's not mention the fact that she can barely say anything in English.

Harry's heart is beating fast and he could hear his heartbeat beating so loud in his ear. He has to stop for awhile to get his mind right making the nurse in front of him to look at him in concern.

"You alright, Harry?" Niall asked, worried that his friend stops his pace abruptly.

The young surgeon takes a couple of deep breaths trying to calm his nerves. He could feel the oxygen relaxing his muscles a bit and ease the tension inside him. He looks at the concerned nurse before giving him a smile, "I'm alright, yeah. Just-" he pauses a little taking another deep breath, "I'm okay. Lead, the way Ni."

Niall looks at him skeptically and shrugs it off. Harry's been acting weird lately and he just needs to keep an eye to the doctor who maybe has been working too hard in his opinion. Niall leads them both to the waiting room where a man just now claimed he was Evangeline's foster dad.

"Name's Mark Sloan," Niall said before pointing to a man sitting anxiously in the waiting room near the nurse station.

Harry takes a deep breath before walking towards this Sloan guy. He has this unsettling feeling in the pit of his stomach regarding this so called foster father.

"Mr. Sloan?" Harry called out making the man looks up and stands up from his seat. "I'm Dr. Harry Styles."

Mark Sloan is a bulky man, muscles slightly similar to his. Harry notices some scars on his face and the bruises on his knuckles making the doctor take a second thought on this man. The man's face remains emotionless as he lips pull a thin line when he sees the doctor. Has Evangeline been living with this man?

"Evangeline, is she alright?"

Harry explains in detail on Evangeline's condition and the surgery that she had earlier that day. The man listens silently as Harry tells him every single information that he had about his patient.

"I can take her home now?" Mark Sloan asked.

Harry sighs silently, "Mr. Sloan, Evangeline just had a major surgery. We would want to observe her for a few more days and run some tests to make sure the infection is gone. It wouldn't be wise to take home, just yet."

Harry saw that Mark's face changes a bit when he mentioned that Evangeline cannot be taken home. His mind must have been playing tricks on him again. He seriously needs some good night sleeps after this because the lack of rest is seriously messing with his brain.

"Can I at least see her?"

Harry is skeptical of letting this man near his patient. There are so many questions running his head – why this man suddenly appears? Why didn't he come yesterday when they tried to call him?

The surgeon left his questions aside and try to be as professional as he can, "Evangeline is probably still asleep due to her anesthesia. I'll take you to her room where you can meet her."