Chapter 8

"Are you sure you want to go this early?" my mom asked, helping me pack.

College didn't start for another two weeks, but they had opened their dorms.

"Yes, I would like to unpack and get to know the town before the stress of school starts," I answered.

My mom look up with tears in her eyes. "Frist David, and now you. Abby isn't too far behind," She cried.

David is my step-brother. He moved to New York three years ago. We haven't heard from him since. 

"Don't worry Mom, I will be back before you know it," I gulped, "I can finish packing."

She nodded and hugged me, "I will be down stairs, if you need me."

I sighed opening a drawer. The picture of Logan and I confronted me. Our eyes sparkling with excitement and smiles of pure joy. I picked it up, trying to decide what to do with it. I threw it in one of my bags without another thought.

I zipped the final bag and looked around my nearly empty room. Is this happening? I dreamed of being an adult my whole life. Now it's actually happening. This is terrifying.

____

"Promise to call me every day," Haley said, not letting me go.

"I make no promises," I sobbed not wanting to let her go either. 

We have been friends since first  grade when I stuck gum in her hair. I was a horrible child. The teacher cut it out and I had to sit by the wall at recess. Haley came and sat by me, and the rest is history. 

"Haley, you gotta let me go. My family is planning a big dinner tonight for me," I said regretfully.

She did what I asked, then questioned me, "When are you leaving tomorrow?"

"It's a full days drive so probably around six in the morning," I replied.

___

"This is a great dinner mom," I announced trying to break the awkward silence.

"I wanted it to be special for your last night in the house," She replied sadly. 

"If someone hurts you like that Logan kid did, just call and I'll be there in thirty minutes, "My dad commented.

"It's a five hour drive," I reminded him.

"I know," He replied with a confused look on his face.

I rolled my eyes, "Are you sure you're okay with keeping Henry?"

"Of course," Abby answeres. He's a sweet heart.

"You should get some rest," My mother stated,"It's a long drive tomorrow."