One) Shoot for the Moon, There's No Going Back

The city is quiet as Alexis watches the strobe of the lights from Alpha Beat Tower. Sitting in the bay window of her room Alexis is curled up in a hand woven blanket and feels like crap, still. Eve is sitting on her bed watching her idly as she browsers through the Sanctuary newspaper. Most of it was just names of who’d found their mates and what events were coming up as well as a few snips of information from the outside world. Alexis hadn’t left her room in the past four days since the incident with Damien in the Holodeck. She couldn’t stop thinking about just after she ran when she had her freak out in the elevator and the weird calm on her walk home.

  She feels so drained of energy now and days and something in her is telling her that she knows how to fix it. But she ignores it; she doesn’t want to know how to fix it. She wants to get over it and move on not dwell on the impossible.

  Eve lets out a loud sigh to get Alexis’ attention; it works because Alexis looks over as Eve holds up her Net Interface. A drawn star with lines is splayed across with the head line reading “Rebellion in Sanctuary.” Alexis frowned thoughtfully. Eve turned the piece of holographic plastic around and starts reading the article.

  “It seems that in a mere four months some rebellious pups have decided that finding a mate at such a young age is something undesirable. The group of rebels are calling themselves the Shooting Stars, and are refusing their mates when found.” Eve looked up at Alexis, “I haven’t found my mate and how did they find out about us?” Alexis stood up and grabbed Eve’s tablet looking over the rest of the article.

  “It doesn’t look like they’re talking about us.” Alexis said.

  “But we’re the Shooting Stars, me you and Jackie who else could they be talking about?”  Alexis taps the picture to access the photo gallery for the article and flips through them. The photos showed girls and boys all living in Sanctuary with a tattoo of a shooting star. “Whoa,” The word slipped from Alexis’ mouth and suddenly her mate problems don’t seem that bad.

  “It got out.” She said showing Eve the pictures.

  “But…how, we are the only ones who knew about the shooting stars we’re the start of it.” Eve said. Alexis shook her head, “I know, we need to get to Jackie.” Alexis shrugs off the blanket and got dressed quickly. Eve followed her out of the door and down the hall. Alexis slows when she notices a shooting star drawn on the doors of the elevator.

  “Oh shit.” She breathes out. Excitement and adrenaline pushes her forward as they head to Jacklyn’s apartment. Jacklyn let then in when Eve knocked loudly. She looked at them as they hurried in and shut the door quickly.

  “You’ll never believe it.” Eve said grabbing Jacklyn’s arms and shaking her as Alexis handed over the news feed. Jacklyn batted Eve away and read the article. Her eyes grew wider as her eyes scanned the lines.

  “We’ve created a revolution!” Eve giggled out Jacklyn frowned and shook her head. “Don’t laugh if this catches wind Sanctuary will be in jeopardy and wolves are going to get hurt.” Eve frowned and took her tablet back.

  “How?” She asked.

  “Isn’t it obvious? Powerful wolves fund Sanctuary so their kids have a place to go to find their mates if all of a sudden those kids start to rebel against the thing their parents are funneling money into then there are going to be a lot of unhappy and very powerful wolves out their looking for who started it all.” Jacklyn looked at Eve then to Alexis. “Us,” Eve’s smile vanishes and Alexis is pretty sure her stomach is on the floor somewhere.

  “Well, I’m sure it hasn’t gotten that big.” Eve suggested. Jacklyn nodded and looked to Alexis, “Let’s hope she’s right.”

  Boy was Eve wrong.