12. New Starts and Old Endings

The next day Mr Schue was surprised to hear a knock on his office door. It was the first thing in the morning, and it was rare for him to have visitors so early.

"Come in," he said as he looked up from his paperwork.

It was Holly. "I'm sorry for interrupting you," she said as she entered the room.

Mr Schue tried hard not to look surprised. "That's okay," he replied. "It's always nice to see you. Take a seat," he said gesturing towards a chair.

Holly remained standing. "It's always nice to see you too, Will," she replied. "And that's why I've decided to leave McKinley High."

Mr Schue looked confused. "I'm sorry. I don't understand. First you tell me it's nice to see me, and then you tell me you're leaving?

"Listen, Will. Please let me explain," Holly said.

All of a sudden Mr Schue realised that the conversation was not going to go as he expected. "Wait," he said. "If this is about the other night, then I'm sorry. I should have never said the things I did. I was drunk."

"That's okay. I know that. The truth is, you scared me."

"Scared? How?" Mr Schue asked, trying to understand.

"There's something I need to tell you," Holly confessed.

"Go on..." Mr Schue said.

"When I told you I was in Ohio when I got the call from Principal Figgins... that's not exactly how it happened. The truth is, I called Principal Figgins to ask if there were any jobs available here."

"But why would you do that?" Mr Schue asked, even more confused than ever.

"It's complicated. I really wanted to see you. I thought I needed an excuse to do that."

"You know you don't need an excuse to see me. I've already told you how I feel. I'm glad you feel the same way."

"That's just it Will. You are engaged to a beautiful woman who loves you very much. I don't want to be the other woman. I don't want to be the one responsible for breaking you up."

"I'm sorry Holly," Mr Schue replied. "I can't help how I feel. I've tried to hide my feelings... but I can't."

"You don't know me, Will. You don't love me. You can't. There are things that I've done that I'm not proud of."

"How can I know you if you won't let me get close? Why do you keep pushing me away? And besides, everyone has things they've done that they're not proud of. Whatever it is, it's okay. It's not who you are now."

"I understand that," Holly replied with tears starting to fall gently from her eyes. "But the simple fact is I can't just be your friend. I gotta go."

Holly turned around and walked quickly out of the office. "Holly, wait!" Mr Schue shouted after her.

He thought about chasing after her, but decided against it. He was angry with himself for letting his feelings get in the way. He had destroyed a beautiful friendship, and hurt someone he loved in the process. How did it come to this?

Even though he loved Emma, he was also worried that he didn't feel the same way about her as he did about Holly. But then he realised that Holly was right.