vii.

Hobi kept showing up to practices, not because he wanted to, but because he wanted them to think he was happy. He had to keep smiling for everyone, especially for the younger kids.

He didn't need the wheelchair anymore because he could walk. Only every time he took a step, his bad leg lagged behind a little bit, dragging along the floor or moving with a noticeable hitch.

He saw the way the other members avoided looking at his leg. It was a painful reminder that whatever they'd had was gone. At least, his part.

He remembered his solo dance in "Boy Meets Evil." How fluid his body had felt. How easily he had moved. How his muscles had obeyed him.

He watched the video every night. Another reminder of things lost.

***

"Your next performance is Friday night," the producer announced, and J-Hope hid his frown.

"What about Hobi?" Jungkook immediately asked, making Hobi wince and look down.

I'm just burdening everyone.

"There are two options. 1: Hobi can choose not to perform and we'll let the fans know he isn't feeling well. 2: He plays a stationary role. Maybe he'll stand on the side or in the middle and everyone else can dance around him, but he will move as little as possible. And when everyone comes out and goes back, they'll cluster around him to hide his limp. The fans can't know that he's defective."

Hobi flinched. Defective.

Even the producer looked pained. "Sorry, that was rude of me. But we can't let the fans find out. It would be a disaster of negative publicity. We can't reveal anything about the car accident either. It would look like a cover up at this point, which quite frankly, it is."

"Why?" Yoongi asked, crossing his arms. "Why the cover up? We'd gain popularity with a disaster like a car crash. So why hide it?"

The producer was silent.

Yoongi's expression cleared. "The other driver," he said slowly. "You're protecting the other driver's identity. Not just because fans would be unhappy. Because it's someone important, someone you don't want to upset."

The producer scratched the back of his neck. "I can't reveal anything about the driver's identity."

Yoongi scowled. "This is the guy who took away Hobi's dancing, and you're protecting him?"

All the members looked upset, although Yoongi was the angriest.

"That's complete billshit," Yoongi said. "We deserve to know who this guy is."

The producer hesitated. "I-"

"The name. Give us the name," Yoongi repeated, glaring.

"I can't," the producer replied, shaking his head.

"At least tell us why this person is more important than Hobi."

The producer hesitated. "He's...another artist on our label."