-5-

After art ends, I practically run out of the classroom, not wanting anyone to say anything to me about my art. I'm then caught off guard by Ethan running up to me and putting a hand on my shoulder.

"Hey," he says, "um I just wanted to say that your piece was really cool, really personal."

"Thanks," I say, not looking up at him as I speed walk to my next class.

"I'll see you around," he says, walking up to his friends. I hear them whispering about me, asking Ethan why he was talking to me and he shrugs it off.

By the time lunch comes around, I don't have an appetite so I just walk around the halls. Towards the end of lunch however, I realize that the last time I ate was probably at lunch yesterday, so I decide to go and eat an apple or something.

As I approach the cafeteria doors, to my horror, I see Natalie making out with someone, but not just any someone. Grayson.

"Natalie, we can't keep doing this," he sighs, after pulling away.

"Yes we can," she says, grabbing his face and pulling him to her.

I try to look away, but I can't. Suddenly I've lost my appetite again. I try to slip away, going unseen, but it's too late.

"Veronica!" Grayson calls after me. He starts after me but I walk away too fast. "Veronica wait," he says, finally catching up to me, "it's not what it looks like."

"You know what Grayson? I don't really care what it looks like, it's none of my business," I say to him, trying to hold back tears. I'm so emotional lately, I hate it.

"Veronica, I'm really sorry. I don't want you to think I tried to lead you on, I actually like you," he apologizes.

"You don't even know me, Grayson. You don't have to apologize," I say, my voice weak. The bell rings and I walk to my study hall class in shame. I'm the first one in class, and I hope Cat gets here soon since she's my only other friend at this school.

Soon enough, she walks in with a big smile on her face. "Veronica! Where were you at lunch? I was scared you weren't here," she rambles.

"Yeah, I'm here," I say.

"Well duh," she laughs, "anyways, there's a party this Friday at Natalie's house. Are you in?"

"I thought you hated Natalie," I say, confused.

"Well yeah but everyone's gonna be there, I can't not go. I think Grayson's gonna be there," she says, trying to convince me.

"Yeah, I'm sure he will be since I just caught him swapping spit with Natalie," I say bitterly.

"No," she gasps.

"Yeah. It's okay though, I know he was in love with her or whatever."

"That's crazy. I could've sworn he had the hots for you," she frowns. "So do you still wanna come to the party? It'll be fun," she tries to convince me.

"Okay why not. Can you give me a ride there though?" I ask.

"Of course! Yay I'm so excited. Trust me, the parties the kids at this school throw are the best," she smiles.

"Cool," I say, trying to return her smile.

The rest of the week goes by pretty fast, and nothing really special happens. Except, Grayson keeps trying to talk to me again, but I don't really want to talk to him. Ethan goes back to not acknowledging me, and Cat and I get pretty close since we have study hall everyday together.

By the time Friday comes around, things at home have become pretty normal, except I'd still rather be anywhere else but home.