-8-

After a quick drive, Grayson and I make it to the beach, which is empty considering it's September and the water is freezing.

"There's no one here," I say, taking in the unusual emptiness of the beach.

"Better for us," he says with a smirk and I swat him for his choice of words.

"The beaches where I'm from are always full of people," I say, trying to get the topic back to where it originally was.

"What are the beaches like in Florida? I've never really left Jersey," he says.

"They're alright, really warm so basically the opposite of the water here," I tell him as we approach the water.

The waves are calm and instantly sooth me and help me forget the hectic morning I've had.

"It's so beautiful," I say, taking in the sight of the beautiful blue waves crashing on the shore.

"Yeah," he says, looking at me and not the waves, but I pretend to not notice him. "So are you gonna get in?" He asks, while taking off his shirt and unbuckling his jeans.

"What? No, I don't have a bathing suit. What are you doing?" I ask, covering my eyes with my hands even though I really want to look.

"I'm going in," he says simply.

"Grayson, the water is freezing," I remind him, dipping a toe into the water.

"So what?" He says, pulling down his jeans. Now I really can't help but stare. His body is amazing. He has a nice toned stomach, an incredible tan, and his arms are so muscular. He's a dream.

In the midst of my staring, I forgot that me and him were having an actual conversation, until he starts waving a hand in front of my face.

"Sorry," I say, feeling my cheeks heat up with embarrassment. "Fine I'll get in," I say, "but I'm keeping my shirt on."

"Nooo," he pouts and I laugh at his gesture.

I pull my shorts down and by the time I'm ready to go in, Grayson has already gotten fully soaked by the ocean water.

"You're insane," I tell him, as I approach the water.

"You're just as insane as I am," he smiles.

"Grayson! This water is so cold!" I squeal, as I try to ease into the water.

"Here, I'll help you ease into it," he says, reaching for my hands. I put my hands on his shoulders, and he protectively wraps his arms around my waist. Instinctively, I wrap my legs around his waist as he pulls me into the water with him, but he doesn't seem to mind, so I keep them there.

"See, it's not so bad," he says, pulling me into the water until it is up to my chest.

"I guess not.. But you're still crazy," I say to him.

"Crazy isn't so bad is it?" He asks.

"Sometimes it is," I say.

"I'm crazy about you, Veronica," he says, leaning his face into my neck.

"Grayson," I say, my voice comes out as a whisper.

"Yeah?" He says.

"Why are you so interested in me? I barely know you and we just met. I mean not that it's a bad thing or anything it's just weird," I rush my words so that it's less of an awkward question.

"You remind me of someone, in a good way. You have all their good traits." He replies.

"Good traits? Like what?" I ask.

"You've got an innocent vibe to you.. that they used to have. You're nice and funny, and you're beautiful. All things they used to be," he says, tightening his grip on my waist.

"Oh. So this someone was a girl?" I ask, getting slightly jealous and uncomfortable.

"Yeah, she was a girl. But she's long gone now and you have nothing to worry about," he assures me.

"Is it Natalie?" I ask, looking away from him.

"Natalie? No way," he laughs, "Natalie doesn't have an innocent bone in her body."

"You're right," I laugh with him. His laugh is so contagious and beautiful. When he laughs he gets an amazing dimple and his smile gets so wide. He is so beautiful.

When he stops laughing his face falls slightly, as if remembering the person brings back bad memories.

"Are you okay, Grayson?" I ask him, hugging him as a wave crashes into us.

"Yeah, it's just, this person caused a lot of pain in my life but she was one of the best things to happen to me. Sorry, I don't want to keep talking to you about this, I want you to know that I'm only focused on you. I only want you. No one else, okay?" He says, putting his hands on either sides of my face.

"Okay. I guess I'm stuck with you since I just moved here and you're my only option," I joke.

"Oh, is that so?" He asks, raising an eyebrow at me.

"Yep," I respond.

"Okay, let's see how you feel after this," he says, and starts throwing water at me.

"You're on," I say, swatting water back at him.

We have a water fight for a while until we start to hear voices in the distance.

Great...