Chapter Three

The next morning, Dani headed to work, ready for her daily routine. She made her way to the kitchen and put on her apron; the diner nearly empty, just as she expected.

What she didn't expect however, was to see Blake sitting at the same table by the large window, looking down at his phone; this time wearing a pair of jeans and a t-shirt, with his sunglasses sitting on his face.

As she walked over to him, Blake looked up from his phone, a wide smile spreading across his face. She couldn't stop herself from smiling back.

"Hey, Dani. Almost forgot you worked here," He said, his grin never faltering.

Dani laughed at his little lie, "Sure you did. Maybe I can actually take your order today, that is if you don't try to distract me again."

"I'll try not too," He said with a wink, making it impossible to keep the blush from creeping up her face. "I'm just gonna get a Sprite and a burger."

"Great. I should be back shortly," she said before taking his menu and going back to the kitchen. Dani placed his order and the food was ready in ten minutes flat. She placed his food right in front of him when she returned, his eyes still looking down at his phone.

"Thanks," he said once he looked up at her. "Sit with me?" he asked, a large smile on his face.

Dani shook her head no. "You got me in trouble last time, remember?"

"A couple minutes won't hurt. I am the customer right?"

She sighed at his reasoning. It was a stretch, but he was right. The customer is always right.

Dani slid into the seat across from him, her eyes never leaving his. He ate one of his fries, smiling at her, never breaking eye contact.

She grew nervous, tucking her hair behind her ear. "What?"

"Nothing," he said, still smiling. "You're just really beautiful."

Dani's cheeks flared red and she muttered a "thank you." No one ever really complimented her on her looks; she usually looked too tired and drained to be considered attractive, especially to someone like Blake Griffin.

He chuckled at her embarassment, scratching the back of his neck.

Blake wasn't ever this straightforward with a girl, especially with someone he didn't know all too well. Except for when he was drunk; DJ told him plenty of shameful stories that Blake couldn't recall.

There was something different about Dani though. He wasn't sure if it was the fact that he felt bad for her that made him extremely interested in her, or if it was something else. All he knew was that he wanted to get to know her even more.

"You never finished telling me about yourself," he said suddenly.

"Maybe I don't want to tell you," she smirked, taking one of his fries. "Why don't you tell me something about yourself?"

"I'm mixed. I'm tall. I like basketball." Blake shrugged.

She rolled her eyes and flicked a piece of the fry at his face. "Seriously? That's it?"

He laughed a little too loudly, making her laugh too. Dani was naturally comfortable around him, something she hadn't felt in a long time.

"I'm kidding," Blake said once the laughter subsided. "Ask me anything you want to know."

Dani thought hard about her question, wanting to ask him something interesting.

"Why am I sitting here right now?"

He raised an eyebrow. "Because I asked you to...?"

"Yeah, but why? Why did you want me to sit here? And why do you want to know so much about me?"

He scrunched his eyebrows together and looked down, playing with his fries. Blake didn't really know why he wanted to get close to her; something deep down just told him he should try. So here they are.

"I don't know, honestly," he said looking up at her after a long pause. "It's something about you that I can't really put my finger on."

"Oh," Dani said, not sure how to respond.

"Why did you say yes then? To sitting down, I mean? With me?" He stammered, rubbing the back of his neck.

"Because the customer is always right," She smirked, popping another fry in her mouth.

"So, if I asked you to do something for me, you would have to do it, basically?"

Dani raised her eyebrows, "Not just anything."

"Give me your number," he said, smirking.

She narrowed his eyes at him, skeptical. "Why?"

"Because the customer is always right," Blake said, mocking her.

She laughed and rolled her eyes, writing her number down on his bill and handing it to him. "Now that you got what you wanted, I have to get back to work before the police actually get me this time."

He chuckled, "Bye Dani."

"Bye Blake," she said before walking towards the kitchen, his eyes on hers.

"What's up with you and him?" One of the other waitresses, Julianne, said once she got there.

"Honestly," Dani sighed, sitting on the crate, "I really don't know."