Chapter Seven

Dani awoke from her long nap, dazed and confused, laying on a California king bed underneath a blanket. She rubbed her eyes and looked around the room, which she recognized as Blake's bedroom, wondering how she got there. The glass door that lead to the balcony across the room was open, letting in a comfortable breeze. Memories from hours before flooded her mind, as she snapped out of her daze and sat up.

Holding her head in her hands, she felt embarrassed, recalling how she cried into Blake's chest. It was humiliating to know that she let her emotions control her like that, especially in front of Blake.

As if he heard her thoughts, Blake walked into the bedroom. "I was just coming in to check on you," he said sitting on the bed. "You were out for a while, it's already 4:30."

Dani looked up at him and noticed that he had on a different shirt from before, sighing. "Sorry about your shirt."

"Don't worry about it, it's not a big deal."

"No, it is. I'm sorry about breaking down in front of you like that. You really didn't need to see that." Blake took one of her hands in his.

"Stop apologizing. I'm here for you Dani, okay?"

She nodded and let out another sigh. "Thanks, Blake. I really appreciate it."

He nodded and got up from his spot on the bed. "You can stay here tonight, if you want. I figured you might want to have more time before going to see your mom."

Dani eyebrows shot up. "Seriously? Are you sure?"

"Positive." He said offering a small smile.

A grin broke out across her face as she threw the covers off of her and got up to wrap her arms around him. "Thank you so much, Blake. For everything."

He chuckled and returned the hug, his strong arms wrapping around her. "It's fine, really. But seriously," he started, pulling her away from him to look in her eyes. "I meant what I said, I care about you and I'm here for you, Dani." He said honestly, making her smile and nod.

Blake's eyes traveled from her brown ones down her face until they landed on her lips. He leaned in, eliminating the space between the two, and pressed his lips against hers. Their lips moved in sync as she wrapped her arms around his neck.

If he wasn't holding her by her waist, Dani was sure her knees were going to give out. He smiled against her lips making her smile back before they finally separated.

"I'm gonna take a shower, okay?"

He leaned his forehead against hers. "Only if I get to join you," He mumbled, grinning.

Dani laughed and pulled herself away from him, walking towards the bathroom. "You're nasty."

"Yeah, well." He said, chuckling. Blake went over to his closet, pulling out a Clippers t-shirt and a pair of boxers before laying it on the bed for her.

Once in the bathroom, Dani peeled off her jeans and tank top before stepping into the shower. She let hot water and steam take over her for the next half hour as she thought about her current situation.

She had feelings for Blake, it was a fact. But she wasn't sure if he felt the same. Was he doing this because he has feelings for me? Or is it because I'm a walking pity trap? She sighed as the questions ran through her mind and stepped out the shower.

Wrapping a towel around herself, Dani walked out of the bathroom and into the empty bedroom. She put on the clothes that Blake laid out for her and let her damp hair hang loose.

She went downstairs and made her way into the kitchen where Blake was, sitting on the counter looking down at his phone. He looked up when he noticed her walk in and head to the fridge.

"Hungry?" He asked as she pulled out an orange and began peeling it.

"Just a little. Not really up to cooking though."

"What do you have in mind for dinner?"He asked, hopping off the counter.

"I could really go for some pizza." She said, chewing her orange.

"I don't know, I was thinking Chinese food. But, I guess there's only one way to settle this."

She raised her eyebrow. "And what is that?"

He smirked. "Basketball game."

Dani snorted, almost spitting out her orange slice. "Are you fucking kidding me? That's not even fair."

Blake just laughed and took her by her hand. "Come on," he said, pulling her outside to his court.

Dani stood there, feeling awkward with only a shirt, boxers, and nothing on her feet, while he grabbed a ball. "Alright, I'll make this easy for you," he said walking over to her.

"If you can dunk this ball, then we'll have pizza. If you miss, we'll have Chinese."

Dani looked at the eight foot goal before looking him up and down, shielding her eyes from the setting sun. "We might as well have Chinese, because that's not happening."

Blake laughed again. "I'll help you, come on."

She sighed and took the ball from him, dribbling it. "How the hell are you gonna do that?"

"Like this." He said, effortlessly grabbing her by her waist and carrying her to the basket. "Dunk it."

Dani raised the ball above her head and slammed it down into the basket. Blake put her down gently and whisper-yelled, "Oh me, oh my! The crowd goes wild!"

She took a bow. "Thank you, thank you." The two burst into a fit of laughter.

"Guess we're having pizza tonight."

"I was gonna order pizza anyway, I just needed an excuse to touch you," He joked, making her laugh and roll her eyes.

A couple hours later, Blake and Dani were on the couch eating pizza and watching a movie. They had played on the court for a  while longer before Dani grew too tired to continue. Although she had one of the roughest mornings of her life, the time she spent with Blake made up for it.

Blake turned to her, breaking her concentration from the movie. "I was thinking..." he started as she turned to face him. "Maybe you could stay here for a while? You know, until you get back on your feet?"

He searched her face for some sign of emotion. When he couldn't read her, he added "That is if you want to."

Dani was surprised he was making this offer. "Yeah," she smiled. "That would be great."

A grin spread across Blake's face. "We can got to your apartment to get some of your stuff tomorrow," he said before turning back to the tv.

Dani nodded, her smile fading slightly, as she excused herself to the bathroom. Taking her medicine, she looked at her reflection in the mirror, thoughts running through her mind.

She was hella grateful that Blake was doing this for her, but she only further questioned his reasoning for his hospitality.

"There's nothing I hate more than being pitied," she mumbled to herself before walking out.