Chapter 10

Bea's POV

Something happened yesterday that made me act very odd. I got all excited about the idea of hanging out with Jamie that my mouth started moving without my brain's approval. But, there was nothing I could do now that I was getting ready to go to Village Coffee. A nude crop top with a black mini skirt, black knee-high socks, and tan combat boots. Simple yet elegant.

It was 10:24 am by the time I was walking downstairs towards the kitchen where Elliot sat eating a bowl of Honey Nut Cheerios with one hand and holding his phone with the other hand. I shake my head at him and open the fridge grabbing a bottle of water.

"Uh, Elliot?" He looks up from his phone, directly at me.

"Yeah?" he mumbles swallowing a mouth full of Honey Nut Cheerios. I walk over to him and lean over the kitchen table, setting my water down.

"Do you know what was up with Georgia yesterday? I mean, she turned down a free ticket to bring a friend on a family vacation. Who would do that?" Elliot sighs and shakes his head in disapproval.

"I don't know. I tried talking to her after she stormed off but she wouldn't answer me. Sorry," Elliot explains turning his attention back to his phone. I groan, grab my water bottle, and start walking towards the front door.

"I'm leaving to meet a friend at Village Coffee. I'll be back soon!" I yell to Elliot before opening the door and grabbing my phone off the table and a bag filled with a few notebooks that I might show Jamie.

"'Kay, bye!"

I open the door and close it behind me, my skin meeting with warm heat and the bright sun. Thankfully it was only a five-minute walk from here to the cafe and, yeah, I was leaving a little earlier than I had told Jamie to come, but I knew one of the employees there and I wanted to say 'hi' since we hadn't talked in over six months.

>•<>•<>•<

"BEA!"

"AMBER!"

"AH!" we scream in unison as we simultaneously run towards each other's arms. Mine wrap around her neck as her's wrap around my waist, lifting me up from the ground a bit. I scream in protest and half-heartedly try pushing her away. She finally gets tired of spinning me around and puts me down. This isn't unusual for us, or in any case, most of my close friends.

"Beatrice Miller, how the hell have ya been? How's the family? Y'all doin' okay? Oh, my god I haven't seen ya in forever!" she exclaims.

Amber is wearing an orange t-shirt with black capri leggings and an apron over it. Her dark skin is glowing in the sunlight coming through the windows. Her hair is long, black, and curly. It's always been one of my favorite physical features of her's. It's always so perfect and I don't know how she does it, but I'll admit I'm jealous.

She moved here from Louisiana when she was 16 after coming out to her extremely religious family as bisexual. They didn't take it well and after weeks of downgrading, belittling, and even some physical abuse she ran away. She's been working here ever since and I met her about two years ago. I remember the first time I met her, she was so depressed and looked down on herself, but with some time, help, and healing, she's so much more confident in herself. Now she's eighteen almost nineteen, a year older than me.

"Amber Jackson, let me just say I've missed you! And my family's great and so am I. But, enough about me, how are you?"

"Why I'm glad you asked, Honey because I couldn't be better. I got into Citrus College!" she exclaims. I gasp at the words and pull her into another hug. Then it hit me.

"Wait..." I say pulling away from her and grabbing her shoulders. "that's in California." My face fell at the thought just as the bell rang signaling that someone had just walked into the café. I turn around and there stands Jamie wearing black athletic shorts, Nike tennis shoes, and a purple tank top. She looks around a bit at her surroundings than at me and smiles.