The First Ireland Game

Becky weaved her way through the tunnel to where Alyssa was waiting to walk out behind Carli. She tapped the goalkeeper's shoulder, causing her to swing around in surprise.

"What are you doing up here? You are at least two people back." The goalkeeper playfully scolded her woman, glancing up and down the hallway for a match official.

"Oh, haha you know we don't walk out for another few minutes." Becky rolled her eyes but smiled. Her girlfriend being playful was a good sign – she wasn't too nervous about the match. Ireland was an inventive team and would keep them on their toes.

"True but I don't want to see by best center-back get in trouble. Not to mention our co-captain." Alyssa winked at Becky before drawing her into a hug. The blonde always brought out the playful side of her, drew her out of her self-made shell. The scent of sunscreen mixed with Becky's body wash flooded her nose, drawing a smile on her face. When they pulled apart, Becky leaned up and gave her goalkeeper a gentle kiss.

"Kick ass and take names today. Show Jill why you are the best. Even with this weird 3 back formation."

"Yes captain. Don't leave me out to dry."

"No promises." Becky winked and headed back to her place in line. Alyssa could only shake her head as she turned to face the tunnel opening. The refs were walking up and the kids who were escorting them out lined up in the tunnel. It was game time.

The pre-game ceremonies took place and Carli went to the center circle as captain for the coin toss. When she returned, the midfielder informed them that they would be attacking right to left first and had kick off the second half. Jill gave some final pregame speech that honestly everyone only half listened to before they took their places on the field.

Alyssa huddled the defense together and they went over their last-minute reminders for the game today. Casey Short was on the left wing, so no major worries there as long as she didn't drift up too far. Long was the lynchpin again so Alyssa warned her not to get caught ball watching or they would all be punished. Becky was on the right wing. Long warned her not to drift up to far. It took everything in Becky not to roll her eyes. She knew how to play on the wing even if it wasn't her best position. Deep down she knew Long was right though. Speed was the one flaw in her game, so she had to make sure she read it well today. The four women all nodded at each other and clasped hands before taking spots on the field. The ref blew his whistle and the game began.

It started as most friendlies do, both teams testing the waters and trying to figure each other out. The three back held strong against any probing from the Irish offense and Alyssa easily collected any long balls they sent into her penalty box. The US midfield was having trouble generating any decent attacks but that has been their problem since Cheney retired. Only time would allow them to figure it out.

Press dropped back from her forward roll after 30 minutes of frustration and began playing as deep playmaker, allowing Carli to shift up top. The forward's technical ability allowed her to get out of some tight spots and play a beautiful through ball to Alex. She outpaced Ireland's backline and took a shot that the Irish goalkeeper barely got a hand on. Not their best work, but at least they were starting to generate some offensive chances.

The teams went in at half-time scoreless, much to the frustration of the USWNT. They are better than their performance showed and they knew it. Jill tried to rouse them all with a speech about pushing forward and attacking more. The goalkeeper kept her face impassive but inside she was fuming. Sure, let's throw everyone forward and leave me out to dry. That always works. Becky caught her eye and barely shook her head. She wouldn't do that to her goalkeeper, fiancé or not.