Picking A Date

"Well when will we have a nice break from soccer? Don't laugh at me I am being serious." Alyssa stared at the Becky across their kitchen table. They have their large calendar laid out on it.

The day they got back from camp with the national team, the mothers started to bombard the pair with questions about the wedding. Alyssa had gotten fed up with the constant buzzing of her phone and snapped at her mother, telling her in no uncertain words that they just needed one question to answer and just one. Her mother was flustered and didn't have one off the top of her head. Alyssa had gotten a text from Amanda that evening while she was cuddled with Becky on the couch. The mothers wanted a date. The goalkeeper had replied that they would find a range and get back to them. That led to their current situation of staring at the upcoming calendar trying to determine when the best time to tie the knot and honeymoon would be.

"I know you are love. I was more laughing at how busy we always seem to be. We might have to pull a Julie and miss some of preseason to do it."

"Yeah but let's only have to do that if there is no better option. Vlatko would not be too happy I imagine for his captain to miss any of the preseason if we can avoid it."

"True." Becky conceded and took another look at the calendar. Things were going to get busy with the NWSL preseason starting as well as SheBelieves and other national team friendlies. Jill seemed to be determined to play them every FIFA break, so those were all out as well. US Soccer had told them to expect friendlies of some sort even after the season ends.

"Ok...after the season ends. We will have friendlies up through November, right? What if we did a December wedding? We could do early December, go honeymoon, and be back in time for the holidays if we wanted." Alyssa stared at the calendar, seeing if there was any other good span of time. Unless they were willing to miss friendlies and possibly miss time with their club teams, December was going to be the best option.

"I think you are right. Neither of us is willing to sacrifice time with the Blues or the Red Stars and I personally don't want to miss any National Team games with the competition heating up between Ash and I." Alyssa leaned back in her chair and stared into those blue eyes she loves so much.

"What if we went to this time next year?" Becky threw it out there. They might as well look at all their options.

"Then we have January camp and SheBelieves and then preseason before we know it. We run the risk of having to miss some. And with it being a World Cup qualifying year, Jill, Vlatko, and Rory wouldn't be happy with us missing anything."

"Yeah your right." Becky slumped.

"Do we want to wait until after the World Cup? That is in 2019 so we would have plenty of time to plan. Do it the offseason after that." Alyssa suggested.

"Yeah.... but if that is the plan and we end up winning we may miss some of the Victory Tour and retirement games." Becky replied. "I know Carli missed some to get married, but it just doesn't sit right with me. Captains lead by example."

"Fair enough. I take it after the Olympics is too far away? I... I think it is. I mean that is essentially three and a half years from now. That is one long engagement." Alyssa shifted in her chair. This was harder than they thought.

"Yeah no. At that point, we might as well elope and go to the courthouse." Becky snorted.

"Hey there is an idea..." The goalkeeper perked up. "Why not elope then throw one big party for everyone when we get back?"

"Because your mother, my mother, your twin, and our combined teammates would kill us." Becky regrettably shot down Alyssa's idea. She had to admit that eloping was sounding better and better. The wrath of those women though was not something she wanted to face. Ever.