willow's work

Month : August
- Theme : Summer themed scene using the anime characters from Tamako Market
- Characters : Tamako Kitashirakawa, Midori Tokiwa, Kanna Makino

"Which flavour do you like the best, Midori?"

Tamako appeared from seemingly nowhere, a grin on her face, holding out a small pocketful of cash that her grandfather had entrusted her with. The money must be well spent he said, ice cream is a good investment, right?

"I like strawberry best myself." She then commented, nodding her head appreciatively, taste buds tingling at the thought of eating some.

Midori rolled her eyes playfully at Tamako's rambling, deciding what flavour to pick. Vanilla was too boring, and caramel was too sticky. So many things to consider, why couldn't the sweet dessert just be a whole lot simpler?

She thought of something, golden eyes focusing back at her friend, who was still talking about how strawberry was the best flavour in the world, that nothing could compare to its taste-

"Why don't you pick for me?" She suggested, breaking Tamako out of her thoughts and to focus on her.

"Sure!" Tamako beamed, stepping to move in front.

Her eyes glimmered at the wide variety of flavours, each and every one of them sounding so delicious to the taste. Chocolate, mint and mango were just some of the many flavours. A comfortable silence resonated as Tamako decided, even the shopkeeper themselves glanced down at the schoolgirl with a chuckle.

"That one!" She exclaimed, "One of that and another of strawberry, please!"

Taking the ice cream cones from the shop keeper's hands, Tamako held out the one for Midori proudly, satisfied with what she had chosen. The green eyed girl took it, silently hoping that her friend had chosen something nice.

The two chatted as they walked onto the beach, the sand seeping between their toes, almost tickling them. Tamako giggled as she paced around, exaggerating about how amazing this beach was, that they had to come back soon.

The idea was tempting, with the sun shining down, the weather was a whole more kinder than back at home. Midori dabbled with the idea of simply her and Tamako coming back together, and for some reason it seemed to sound a whole lot better.

"It's gonna melt if you don't have some soon Midori!" Tamako scolded her, halting her movements.

Midori poked her tongue out, licking the ice cream. She wouldn't want to waste Tamako's money after all. Immediately she was greeted with a wonderful taste, a wide smile breaking out.

"This is so good!" She beamed, taking another lick, "You chose a lot better than I thought, Tamako."

She can't help but praise her friend, noticing how hopeful she looked. It made her stomach do a backflip, the feeling new and a little weird to her. She embraced it though, joining Tamako as the pair explored the sandy beach, each other being the only company that they thought they needed.

Tamako's foot dared to sink into the blue waters of the beach, recoiling as she realised how much colder it was than the burning sand. Midori laughed at her, though quickly becoming quiet when Tamako challenged her to dunk herself into the sea.

"Are you asking me to get hypothermia?!" She teased.

She was expecting Tamako to retort, not for a figure now recognised as Kanna to rise from underwater with a snorkel mask and breathing tube equipped. She scared the two girls unintentionally, each of them letting out a squeal.

"This water is not that cold once you go underwater. You get used to it." Kanna claimed.

The two girls looked at Kanna silently, then at each other, knowing what the other was thinking.

"That's in invitation to go in!" Tamako cheered, pulling down her clothes, her striped bikini quickly fading from Midori's sight as she plunged herself into the water.

"We haven't finished our ice creams!" Midori whined, "You were the one telling me not to waste it!"

Tamako looked at her hand, which was empty, and located the ice cream in a heap in the sand. She apologised to the ice cream, praising how delicious it was. She turned to Midori as she spoke;

"There. Now come on in! Kanna's right, it doesn't feel that bad!" Tamako waved to her friend. Kanna nodded at Midori.

She pulled down her clothing, "Here I come!" She grabbed Tamako, pulling her down with her underwater.

Kanna simply watched the pair, before deciding that swimming appealed to her more. She pulled her breathing tube back into place and swam away, leaving the pair to their antics.