Chapter 1

Chapter 1

I rolled the coins on my hand and sighed softly. "Not enough, not nearly enough." I thought. I almost walked into the front door to my house on accident before I remember I had to open it and stepped inside.

"Eren?" Leo called from his spot on the bed.

"Hey, I'm back." I quickly tucked the coins into my pocket so my little brother wouldn't see them.

"How was it?" Leo asked. He was sitting up in bed with a blanket in his lap, his hands folded neatly with a smile on his face. He had the same brown hair as me, but he had bright green eyes rather than gray ones like me.

"We lost another one." I informed him. I went to work tiding up the house and set a bowl of water on the windowsill. A quick toot on my whistle and Kamilo landed on it. I pet his head before turning away.

"That's too bad, did he cut your pay?" Leo asked as I did this.

"No, no. Just a not-to-friendly reminder not to let it happen again." I lied with a smile on my face. "Leo can't know he cut it in half!" I shrieked silently.

I nearly jumped out of my skin when someone knocked roughly on the door. I opened it a sliver to see who was there. "Who is it?" Leo asked.

I glanced back at Leo. "Just a friend. I'll be back later, okay? Love you." I said and quickly closed the door.

"This a bad time?" The man's smirk could be heard without me having to look at him. I stayed with my forehead pressed to the door for a moment longer before I looked at him.

"Fine, as always." I responded.

"Good. I have a project for you." He held out a hand and I walked past without taking it.

"The usual place, I presume?" I asked.

"That's right." He came up behind me as we walked and added in a whisper: "oh, and we got a new shipment. Just came in last night."

I nodded and kept on walking. Even though the sun had already gone down past the wall I had no trouble navigating in the dark. Our destination was almost on the other side of Shinganshina, nicknamed a Red Light District after the old areas of Japanese cities, though it wouldn't be surprising to find them elsewhere under other names.

My companion, whose name I knew as Gold, put an arm around my shoulder to ward off the more brash people in the area. Gold was well known around the area as being a rich playboy businessman. I thought he was a rich bastard. We reached his store without incident and he pulled me into a back room used for special meetings.

"So, how much do you have?" Gold asked, siting and leaning back in his chair.

I tossed the handful of coins onto the table. "That's it." I said.

"That's it?" Gold looked skeptical like he thought I was joking.

"I lost three sheep in a week, what do you expect?" I muttered. "I'll make up the rest the usual way." I said.

"Can't." He leaned back and looked at me.

"Why not?" I asked.

"It's to much. The price went up with this last shipment." He said. I slid into a chair and ran my hands through my hair.

"What am I suppose to do?" I whispered to myself.

"My offer from our first meeting still stands." Gold said.

I shot him a look. "Sleep with you and you'll give me the medicine free of charge?" I asked.

"That's right. I'm reasonable, you know. I would expect you to do it more than once a week. Wouldn't that make your life much easier?" He said.