Chapter 2

Chapter 2

"How would you like it to be your full time job?" Nazo asked me.

For a moment I wondered if I was dreaming. "I'd like that more than anything." I said.

"I'll do better. Not only do I want to contract you full time, I want to sponsor you. Anything you need, food, medicine, supplies, I'll get it." He said.

"Are you serious?" I asked. "Even for Leo?" I asked.

"I'll hire a full time doctor for him if that's what it takes." Nazo said in total honesty.

I fell back onto the building as my knees got weak. "Are you kidding me?" I asked.

"Not at all, Miss Eren." He said. "But in return you would have to develop something for me."

"Whatever you want." I said eagerly.

"Wonderful. Lets talk details in a better location. Why don't you go change and quit your job here, and we can talk details at your house?" Nazo suggested.

I paused. "How do you know where I live?" I asked.

"I know more than that. I know you used to go to the top of the wall and look at the outside world. You would hide from the guards, badly I might add. Once you even snuck out." He said.

"How did you...?" I asked. He smiled.

"I know everything that can be known about you. For now though, go change." He said.

I hesitantly went inside and Mikage followed me just inside the door, making sure to close it. "Eren, why didn't you ask for my help?" He asked.

"Because you have enough to worry about." I said.

"Eren, you alone are the cause of my sleepless nights." He said plainly. "Really, you didn't need to work in a place like this."

"I was just a bartender. Now excuse me, I want to change. Take Nazo to my house and I'll meet you there." I said. He nodded and walked out.

I headed down stairs and changed quickly. I removed all my makeup and braided my hair. I looked like myself again. When I headed up the stairs I met my boss. "Hey, why did you abandon your post?" He asked.

"I'm done." I said.

"What? You can't afford the medicine any other way." He said.

"I appreciate what you did, but I'm done. Don't come by my place ever again, don't ask me to stay." I shoved past him and smiled as I did. At the top of the stairs I looked back down and shouted "I quit!"

I ran outside and laughed. "That actually felt good." I thought. I was near the east side of the wall and I could see the sky lightening. I debated for only a one moment before running up to the top of the wall using a hidden flight of stairs. The wind blew around my face as I pulled my hair out of the braid.

I let the wind blow my hair and the warmth of the rising sun warmed my face. I opened my eyes to the most beautiful sunrise I had ever seen, and silhouetted against the sun was a flock of birds. "I'm free." I said quietly. I smiled and shouted it as loudly as I could, laughing as I did.

I let out a breath before I hurried down and ran all the way to my house. Mikage had already made tea and he and Nazo were sitting at my kitchen table. Leo was sleeping soundly. "Sorry that took so long." I said as I sat down.

"Don't worry about it Miss Eren, I was admiring your inventions." Nazo said. I glanced around the house. I had gotten so used to my inventions that I'd forgotten half of them were there.