Epilogue

Epilogue (3rd POV, One Year Later)
"Welcome to training, maggots. You are the 27th squad of trainees and there will be several drastic changes to your education. In other words, forget everything you've been taught." The commander in charge of training paced in front of the perhaps 100 twelve year olds before him. "The most important change is one that had to do with your very futures. I have a special guest who will be explaining."

Rex, wearing his uniform and 3-D Maneuver Gear stepped out. "Hello, I'm Rex. You probably don't recognize this crest, but that's because it belongs to a new military division. Let me explain what this has to do with you. Ordinarily the top ten would go into the Military Police and everyone else would go into the Garrison. Now, there is another option." Rex paused and let them whisper for a moment.

"This other option is special. We are called the Scouting Legion and it is our job to go beyond the wall. Our goal is it set up a place outside the wall from which humanity can fight back, and believe me, we can. Just over a year ago the first Titan was killed. Since then we have learned much, but we need troops to continue. For the glory of humanity, we fight for the freedom of humanity. Any questions?" Rex asked.

"Yes, sir. Why are there wings in the crest?" Someone called from the crowd.

"These are the Wings of Freedom. The freedom of 3-D Maneuver Gear, of going beyond the wall, of choosing your own fate." He replied. The whispering got louder, excited. "This is not an exclusive group: anyone who wishes may join." He added.

"So, keep on mind that there is another division to go into come graduation." The commander took his place back and Rex started to walk away as the commander took over. Standing just beyond a fence was Hannah.

"Hello, how've you been?" Rex asked her. She jumped in surprise, having been absorbed in her papers.

"Good, good. Oh, save me a spot on the next outing. I want to start trying to capture titans. I have so many tests I need to run." Hannah said in a rush as she hurried past. Rex laughed and kept going. There was a lot to be done, especially since Brantley was always missing.

(Shinganshina)

"Eren!" She looked up from her spot at her work table.

"What's up, Leo?" She called to her little brother, only he wasn't so little anymore.

"Can you come here?" He called. Eren sighed, but pushed the wheelchair back and rolled herself outside.

"You know I can't get on the roof, Leo." Eren reminded. It sounded gentle, but Leo heard the bitterness behind it.

"You won't need to." He replied as he landed in front of her after jumping off. Eren gave him a skeptical look.

"Oh really?" She asked. He nodded and easily picked her up. He set her down on what looked like a swing and then he climbed back onto the roof.

"Hold on tight." He warned and suddenly the swing jerked, lifting upwards. It lifted all the way up to the roof and Leo helped Eren off.
"Cool, right?" He said.

Eren looked over the contraption. "Bulkier and takes more physical effort than needed, but very sweet intention." She replied. Leo shook his head with a laugh.

"Always the inventor. Anyway, I know the views not as good as the one on the wall, but..." He sat down next to her and fell silent as she looked around.

"It's still better than the balcony. I'll help you develop a more efficient version of that lift." She told Leo.

"Sure, sure." Leo said with a smile.

"Eren! Leo!" Mikage's voice reached them from down below.

"Up here." Eren replied. Mikage had no trouble getting on the roof and was shocked to see Eren up there.

"How did you..." He asked slowly.

"Not me... Leo. He helped me up." Eren said as she smiled at her brother. Leo smiled back.

"As long as you didn't climb up. You know your legs won't heal right if you keep walking on them." Mikage reminded.

"I know, but the wheelchair is so inconvenient." She said in aspiration.

"Inconvenient or not, you need it." Mikage said.

"Or I could just carry her." Brantley said as he joined them.

"Brantley, when did you get back?" Eren said with a bright smile.

"Just now." He replied with a smile of his own.

"Okay, okay, except when you're gone who's supposed to carry her?" Mikage spat at him. The two often got into arguments and they looked about ready to start so Eren decided to put an end to it.

"Boys, boys, I can carry myself." She said.

"How?" Mikage asked.

"Him." She said with a smile as Leo picked her up to demonstrate.

"Ouch, a little kindness to your fiancée." Brantley said, pretending to be hurt.

"She's my sister, who ever said I'm giving her to you?" Leo replied. Both boys laughed and Eren yawned.

"Leo, I took my medicine so I'm sleepy." Eren said softly.

"Okay, down we go." He replied.

"I'll take her." Brantley picked her up and quickly went back downstairs, to the top floor out of three. The top floor was Eren's: her bedroom, the workshop, even a bathroom, were all hers. The middle floor was bedrooms for the boys. The bottom floor was the kitchen, dining room, and another bathroom.

Brantley walked through Eren's workshop into her bedroom and laid her down in the bed. Eren closed her eyes and was asleep almost immediately.

I soared through the forest, just as I always did. The Maneuver Gear worked perfectly and the troop of seven soared through the branches. Titans still lined the floor, but we paid them no mind. When I started to fall I wasn't afraid. The Titan reaching up to eat me was not immortal and I cut him down with ease. I rejoined the group flying through the branches. We flew, but not with the wings I had always imagined. No, these were wings of my own invention...

Wings that would carry me over the wall...

Wings that would carry me to safety...

Wings that would let me fly...

Wings of Freedom...