Chapter 13

Chapter 13

"Sonny's what?" Bean asked as if he hadn't heard the man correctly.

"He got in an argument with a guy and suddenly attacked him. There was a couple of us there, we thought nothing of it at first and then the man started screaming. When we finally got Sonny away the man's throat had been ripped out and Sonny's mouth was dripping blood." He explained in a rush.

"Take me there. Now!" Bean ordered. They ran out. Rex and I shared a look before running after him.

People were glancing into the hallway as we ran past, apparently woken up by the noise, but most just went back to bed. Brantley was one of the people who looked out, but he joined us running. "What's going on?" He asked.

"Something's wrong with Sonny." Rex said simply. I ignored them as I focused on keeping up with Bean.

"Is that the finished product? It looks like a soldiers uniform." He asked me after a minute.

"Now's not the time." I replied sharply without even looking at him.

"Is she mad at me?" I thought I heard him ask Rex, but I couldn't be positive. The man led us down to the bottom floor where five or so people stood outside the only door, shifting their feet.

"What happened?" Bean asked one of the guys waiting. I noticed Hannah was there too, but moved past to the door. I pressed my ear to it, but no sound came out.

I pulled off the machine itself, detaching it from the harness, and I gave it to Hannah. "Watch this for me." I said.

"Sure, but why do I...? Hey!" Hannah started to ask as I ducked into the room, making sure to close the door. It was poorly lit, but I could see two figures in the corner. One was Sonny, I could tell because of his hair, but the other was hard to see.

"Sonny?" I asked softly. He jerked to look at me, tensed up like a coiled spring. It was then that I realized it was a man he was crouched over. Sonny was holding something in his hand too, an organ based on the shape, and I thought it might be the man's heart.

"Sonny." I repeated, a little stronger. He slowly started moving towards me, still crouching and holding onto the heart, as the door opened behind me. Only two people entered, Bean and Brantley, both whom had guns out. Sonny jumped back, dropping the heart as he did.

"Back up, Eren." Brantley ordered me.

"No, no, he's okay. Sonny's not dangerous, not to us." I added. I hadn't looked away from Sonny. "Come on, it's okay." I said encouragingly. Sonny approached again and I knelt down so I could be eye level with him.

"Why did you do this?" I asked him softly. He kept with closer and lined my face with his blood soaked hands. I heard the click of a gun behind me and motioned for them to relax. "Why?" I asked again.

"He insulted Bean. I wondered what the blood of a man who didn't like Bean tasted like. It's not anything special." Sonny said eagerly, like he wanted me to praise him for doing a good job. I rubbed his head as I shifted to sit on the floor.

"You didn't do wrong, but you can't do this again." I told him. He frowned.

"But..." He started to say and I shook my head.

"No, Sonny." I said firmly. He whimpered but bowed his head, nestling his head into my lap like a pouting child. He clearly didn't like what I had said, but seemed to accept it.

"What is he doing?" Brantley asked as he slowly approached. His gun was still trained on Sonny and I motioned for him to put it away.

"Surrendering. He's bowing, exposing the back of his neck." I said as I gently rubbed his back.

"What's the back of the neck got to do with it?" Brantley asked.

"That's probably the most vulnerable part in the human body. Your heart is protected by ribs and your brain by a skull, but the back of your neck has nothing of the sort. You can paralyze with a single blow to this spot. You can kill anything just by separating the connection between the brain and the body." I explained as Sonny began whining.

"Kill anything by severing the brain and the body?" I heard Brantley mutter.

"Anyway, Sonny should be okay now." I added to Bean. "He just needed a little taming, that's all." I said with a smile.

"Geez, Sonny, what a mess you've made." Bean mumbled. Sonny suddenly sat up and rubbed his face. After he finished he looked around like he wasn't quite sure what was going on.

"Um, what..." He seemed to have a dozen questions but didn't want to ask any. Or didn't know what to ask first.

"I'd claim temporary insanity. You should be fine now." I explained simply.

Sonny nodded slowly like he didn't quite understand and then noticed my outfit. "Oh, is that a uniform? What for? I want one!" Sonny asked me.

"That's actually something I wanted to talk to you and Bean about. Let's go somewhere cleaner first though." I suggested. Brantley offered me a hand and helped me up as Bean did the same for Sonny.

"Are you okay?" Brantley asked me as we moved towards the door.

"Fine. You were the one who cocked his gun, right? Why?" I asked.

"I did it without thinking. All I knew was I didn't want you to get hurt." Brantley explained.

"Sorry, but I'm a bit of an accident magnet so good luck with that." I said with a laugh as we left the room. I took the machine from Hannah and followed Sonny and Bean upstairs, along with Brantley and Rex. We entered Bean's office and he motioned for us to stay while he took Sonny into another room.

He returned quickly without him. "Okay, now that that's been cleared up, what was it you wanted to talk to me about?" Bean asked formally as he sat down behind his desk like nothing had happened.

"I want to start another division of the military, unofficially for now of course." I added.

"What?" Bean asked.

"Yes. It's called the Survey Corps. Their purpose would to be to go beyond the wall and start fighting the titans. Eventually it will pave the road to the titans extinction." I explained.

"For the glory of humanity." Rex added.

"And the crest is called the Wings of Freedom." I said.

"Do you even know if that machine of yours works?" Bean asked skeptically.

"All I need to do is a final test and then we can start fighting back." I said excitedly.

"So, if I were to agree to the creation if this Survey Corps, what would happen?" He asked.

"We create more of these machines and then we show the titans that humanity isn't done yet." I said with determination.

Bean looked me over and sighed. "Prove it works and then we'll see." He finished off the discussion by picking up a paper from the desk.

"I'll more than prove it works. I'll blow your mind." I thought with a smile as I left the room.