Chapter 4

Chapter 4

"Mommy! Mommy!" I cried eagerly as I ran up to her. She turned away from the sink and looked down at me.

"Yes, darling?" She asked.

"Look!" I help up the little toy I had made.

"Oh, what is it?" Mom knelt and I wound the toy. When I let it go it flew up and gently fell as it spun.

"Oh, wow! Did you make that, Eren?" Daddy asked. I turned and smiled hugely at him.

"Yes! Welcome home!" I said. Daddy was a soldier who patrolled the walls so it wasn't often we got to see him at home. I ran up and gave him a hug.

"Easy there, little girl." He rubbed my head.

"Welcome home, darling." My mom kissed my dad's cheek. "Dinner will be ready shortly." She added.

"Daddy's home?" I heard Leo said tiredly from behind me.

"Yes." Mommy picked him up and held him tightly in her arms.

"Fly!" I cried at my dad. He picked me up and swung me around in the air, me giggling the entire time. I loved to "fly", even if it wasn't really flying.

Mom set down Leo and went back to dinner. As mom said, dinner was ready shortly. We all sat down and ate as a family. Daddy, who was the last one done, finished just as someone knocked on the door. Daddy answered the door.

"Excuse me, commander, but you and your wife need to come with us." The man said.

Daddy and mommy shared a look and mommy stood. "Take care of Leo, okay?" Mommy said softly and she hugged the two of us. She swiftly kissed both our cheeks and stood.

She and daddy were about to leave when I shouted "I'll have a better toy when you come back!"

Daddy smiled sadly. "I'm looking forward to it." He said softly before he and mommy walked out the door.

"I'm sorry." The soldier said before closing the door.

I shook my head to get it back on my project. When I looked at the dark green drawing board the grappling hook idea was mostly completed. I finished off the last little bit and stepped back. I reviewed my work and nodded. "Not bad for a first draft." I muttered.

"Hey, Eren, I've got stuff for you." Mikage said, the door to my workroom hitting the wall with a bang. I jumped and had to take a few breaths to calm my racing heart.

"Geez, Mikage, knock." I said firmly.

He smiled. "Sorry, here." He set down a big box on my table and opened it. I started sorting the things inside: there were a dozen samples of different types of metal, but only one fabric.

"Only one fabric?" I asked as I rubbed it with my fingers.

"It's considered the strongest." Mikage said.

"I...Oh, never mind." I set it aside. "This is all fine, but I really need that manikin."

"Okay, I'm trying. It's hard to find a model of a person apparently." Mikage muttered.

"Gold has one!" I suddenly remembered.

"Gold?" Mikage asked skeptically.

"My old boss." I explained. I rounded up a couple of things. "Do you have any money?" I asked.

"I've got an allowance from Nezo in case you need something on short notice, but..." Mikage started to say.

"How much?" I asked.