Chapter 3

Chapter 3

I would have missed the knock on the door, but thankfully Leo pointed it out to me. "Eren, someone's at the door." He called from downstairs.

I quickly set aside the contraption in my hands and hurried down. "Thanks." I said quietly as I passed Leo. I pulled the door open, but didn't recognize the man there. "Can I help you?" I asked.

"You are Miss Eren Tateru, correct?" The man asked.

"That's me." I said hesitantly.

"My name is Oz Duvon. I'm a doctor." He introduced. I nodded: he was wearing a lab coat so that made sense.

"The one here to check out my brother?" I asked.

"Sent by Nazo himself." He smiled and I let him in.

"Leo's there." I motioned to the bed. The doctor went over and I started rubbing my arms. It was a nervous habit, that and fiddling with whatever was in arms reach.

"Hi, Leo, my name is Oz. I'm a doctor." Oz said as he sat down on the bed.

"Pleasure to meet you. I'm Leo, her little brother." Leo offered a hand and Oz looked surprised.

"You're very lucid." He said.

"Of course. My mind has been so far unaffected. It's only my legs that are." Leo said. Oz nodded, an impressed look on his face.

"I apologize for treating you as a child." Oz said before he started pulling things out of his bag.

"I can understand why." Leo replied with a bright smile.

"Tell me your symptoms." Oz said as he started doing a check up.

"Two and a half years ago I got sick, just a cold but I never seemed to fully recover. Then about a year ago I woke up unable to stand. Eren brought a doctor who told her what medicine I needed but we couldn't afford it from him." Leo explained.

"Did you get the medicine from someone else?" Oz asked.

"Yes, I did." I answered.

"Can I have the medicine you've been giving him?" Oz asked. I nodded and took it down off the shelf. There was only a little of the tan powder left. "Let me guess, you mix it with water?"

"Yes."

He sighed softly. "I'm sorry to tell you this, but this "medicine" is almost useless." He said. I felt my knees go weak and I slid into a chair.

"So you're telling me everything I did for that medicine was worthless?" I asked in disbelief.

"No. The effort you put into making sure your brother got it, that will never be worthless. But this medicine isn't even really medicine. It's a spice." Oz said. He put away the equipment he had used while we were talking. "But I do have good news. There's nothing wrong with your brother." Oz said.

"Wait, then why...?" I started to ask and Oz held up a hand to silence me.

"I mean, there's no illness involved." He said. I nodded and waited for him to continue. "Tell me, Leo, the day before you stopped being able to walk, did you injure yourself?" Oz asked.

"Um..." Leo rubbed his neck like he always did when I asked him a question he didn't want to answer. "Yes." He admitted finally. Oz nodded and stood.

"When you injured yourself it must pinched a nerve in your spine. Whenever you move your legs you feel intense pain, but you probably didn't want to tell Eren that so you said you just couldn't move." Oz said.