Chapter Four- Once in a Blue Moon

Enjolras motioned for Clémence to take a seat next to him and he pulled out one of the wooden chairs. Clemence swiftly took a seat and stared at Enjolras with saddened eyes and her arms crossed over her chest.

He sighed and stared into her light eyes but quickly looked away and brushed a hand through his hair, "When we first spoke to each other I expected nothing more from you than a simple coat but you completely changed my point of view that day. I had a thirst for freedom before but you gave me the final push to pursue it..."

Clémence frowned and stared at him with eyes full of disbelief, "Enjolras...where are you going with this? It can't be..."

Enjolras placed his hand over hers, "Now is the time to act Clémence, if the people don't resist now our voices will never be heard. We need a change. We need a revolution," He spoke quietly, he placed his other hand on Clémence's cheek.

She took a deep breath and shut her eyes tightly, "Nothing good will come to us if we pursue this-this revolution, there will be nothing but death. I don't think I'll be able to bare it," She spoke, hopelessly. She knew she had found out too late and she couldn't change the man's mind. She just wished he'd realize the outcome of the situation.

Enjolras leaned over the table and pressed a light kiss to her forehead, "If we succeed, if we rally the people we'll surely have the support we need to win. And when we win, you and I can buy a home together, and you could finally leave that cursed shop."

Clémence glanced away from him, "I respect your optimism but-but you must think of what will happen if-if we are unsuccessful. You know I can't lose you, I-I don't know what I'd do," She spoke, her words barely audible as she spoke quick and quiet.

He barely considered her words before he stood up from where he sat and wrapped his arms around Clémence's smaller form. She pressed her face against his chest and held in the anguish she felt.

"I promise I won't leave, I'll be here as long as you're willing to let me stay. I'm here...," He murmured quietly, and he held her tightly, they stood in silence for a few moments before Enjolras pressed his lips against hers and they relished the moment.

The moment of silence was broken when a head popped up from under one of the tables, "What a lovely scene!" Clémence jumped in surprise causing her to separate from the warmth of Enjolras's embrace.

"Grantaire!" Enjolras shouted, he glared at the other man who was obviously drunk.

Grantaire had a mop of dark hair and wide dark eyes. A half empty bottle of wine was in his right hand and he had his left hand on the table so he could keep steady, "I will have to say though-"

Enjolras sighed, "Of course you're here!" He interrupted the drunk man.

"-I'm surprised, Enjolras with an actual human being? That's new," Grantaire finished.

Enjolras continued to glare at the drunk. Clémence placed her hand on his arm, "It's fine, let's go."

She laced her fingers with Enjolras' and dragged him out of the room. She then proceeded to pull him all the way down the rickety steps until they were outside of the small building.

"Is that normal?" She questioned, as she looked back up at the café.

"He's always drinking ."

Clémence turned to look back at Enjolras, "Hmm, are you busy tomorrow? My father said he'd take care of the shop, and I'm not doing anything-"

"No, I'm not busy," The boy with blonde hair smiled, and gazed upon Clémence with elation.

Clémence grinned happily, "Good, I want to do something with you."