Fightin' the good fight - C. 44

Jacko had us set up partner to partner. I was up against Buddy, Zee against Alice, Yuuki against Ace. Vince and Robert watched from the kitchen window, cooking up something for lunch. We were going to fight with fists and blades, this was our training.

"First up, fists." Jacko yelled out for us to start, and we began to fight each other. We had lined up in the backyard, practising for next Saturday. I ran towards Buddy and swung a fist at him, he blocked it and threw one at me. I ducked his punch, kicking him out from under his legs with a swift side kick. It was strange fighting him, we were usually partnered up in rumbles.

"SHIT!" Zee hit the ground with a thump, Alice pinning her down. Alice looked surprised and got off of Zee.

"Shit, I'm sorry Zee." She helped her up from the ground.

"Shut up." Zee got up, clearly bothered by losing and they resumed fighting again. I watched as Zee threw the first punch, Alice dodged and let her stumble forward. Alice was able to kick the back of her legs, and as Zee fell backwards, she was able to pin her down. Winding her. "WHY?!"

"Are you alright Zee?" Robert came out from the kitchen and walked over to Zee, she got up before he could try and help her up, quickly wiping the grass stains from her cheeks. Glaring at Alice, who seemed timid and shy.

"Peachy." She replied. I looked over to Ace and Yuuki, it was intense but slow paced. Ace threw a punch, Yuuki dodged, Ace threw another, Yuuki dodged again. Suddenly Yuuki grabbed Ace's arm and lifted him over his back, making Ace land on his back and winding him. Yuuki could've kicked him in the stomach, but didn't. He made sure Ace's stitches were still in tact and assisted him back on his feet.

"I've noticed a pattern." I looked over to Buddy.

"Yeah?"

"Those who punch first, fall first." I said, suddenly Jacko started clapping.

"Exactly. Crash here has learnt." Jacko patted my shoulder.

"If we don't throw the first punch, we won't start." Zee cut in, scowling and looking over to him. The sun was bright and made her squint.

"Alice, punch first." Jacko commanded. Alice and Zee went back into fighting position again, Alice threw the first punch and Zee blocked it. Because Alice was open, Zee was able to kick her stomach. Alice let out a small yelp and stepped backwards.

"Sorry." Zee said sarcastically. Alice rolled her eyes and waved off Robert who came hovering to her side.

"Again, this time, Roses, punch first. Learn how to leave nothing open." Jacko commanded again, we all went back to fighting. Buddy and I took turns, but by the end of the session we were all sore. Robert went inside and got us juice from Vince who had freshly squeezed a bunch of oranges for us. We sat on the grass and listened to the bugs and birds. The air was freezing, but our bodies were warm from all the fighting.

"I'll wake up with bruises all over my stomach." Zee cuddled with Ace, Ace placed his hand on her stomach and smiled.

"How're your stitches, Ace?" I looked over to them, the sun blinding my eyes slightly. Usually it was cloudy, but it was supposed to be summer but the weathers been freezing lately.

"They're alright. Kind of sore from all the fighting." He replied, I nodded my head and looked back up at the sky. Alice sat up and looked around.

"I'll miss this house if I leave." She said. I sat up with her, looking over to the old paint that was peeling away.

"I will too." I replied, she looked at me sadly. If Nick did t recover, it would be only an amount of time before I lost the house. Especially since he wants me to finish school.

"Do you think we'll lose Danny and Nick?" Buddy stared up at the sky, showing no sign of emotions. He looked blank, and I didn't blame him. He got along well with Danny, and Nick too.

"We won't lose anyone, I won't allow it." I picked some grass and stared at it in my hand, I wasn't going to lose my gang to the enemy.

"Danny will be alright, Buddy." Yuuki said from his spot. I noticed he was feeling uneasy too, there's something about Yuuki that I never understood. He was quiet, but loud. Caring, but strong. He was so different from Nick, yet so much like him. I knew Alice and Danny would be alright with him.

"Alright, Blades." Jacko stood up and pulled out a switch."Come on Angel, let's fight."

"But I have no idea how to use my blade."

"Nonsense! Come on."

"Jacko, I se-"

"You're just being modest, come on." Alice stood up and pulled out her switch, it shone in the sun light for a moment, exposing the roses.

"Fine." Alice waited for Jacko to pull out his, the roses on his switch shone in the light too. He judged forward to her and she dodged it, stumbling over a little.

"Dodging?" Jacko asked, he looked a little angry.

"What else can I do? I don't remember how to fight." She glared at him, clearly unimpressed with his actions. He struck again and she barely managed to dodge it, tearing some of the sleeve of her jacket. Robert came running to her, yelling at Jacko to stop.

"Stop it, Man! She doesn't remember, you're going to hard on her!" He yelled at him, and Jacko scowled.

"I don't understand!! You used to the best of the best and now you're..."

"Jack, stop-" Robert went to shut him up again, in fear that he'd say something to hurt her.

"Now you're nothing." The words made us all go silent. The wind was the last thing we could hear, and I'm sure those words rung inside Alice's mind. Alice's eyes began to water and she pushed past him, running inside. Yuuki ran after her and I began to hear yelling. She was angry.

"Good job, Jack." Robert shoved past him and walked inside after the pair. We just stood and stared.

"What are you looking at? You did this to her." Jacko spun off and stormed inside with the others, as we all stood up.

"What the hell just happened?" Zee said.