10. Halt

They rest for the night after feeling sleepy because neither of them is in a state to drive. They inquire near by lodging and hotels for spare room to spend the night. But they are told due to wedding season, all hotels are booked and full, and no last minute booking could help that. Finally, a cheap hotel with not so good aesthetics or amenities had a room available. Just one one room was available and they had to book it before that was gone too.

The motel looked run down and rusty. The walls were blackening around the edges, the doors were creaky. The colour of walls had turned dusty brown . It looked like the building had once been in a fire. They had a medium sized room with the queen size bed and a small couch next to an old wooden table. They asked to change the lenin. Dia was exhausted and drowsy, so she collapsed onto the bed after keeping aside her belongings and shut her eyes.

Karthik changed into his shorts picked up his headphones and laid on the bed listening to music. They fell asleep

Morning

  She turned in her sleepy state, stretching her arms and was baffled to feel a face on her hands. She was covered with a blanket, and the same was also keeping Karthik warm. They both were under the same sheets on the same bed. She sprung up! She was more horrified to see his pants folded up on the table. She sat up and yelled, "What are you doing?"

"Ah! What happened? You scared the shit out of me! What's wrong?" replied Karthik.

"How did we end up here?"

"Oh, we stayed in for the night. I couldn't keep my eyes open to drive and you were asleep; you don't even remember getting here."

"Karthik I'm serious! Did something happen? Here. .. with us... Last night..."

Karthik jokingly leaned in nearer to her, looked deep into her eyes and whispered "what if it did?".

Dia shuddered at the thought. Her heart raced, she looked at his face to get some hope he was joking.

He broke the silence with laughter saying, "Don't worry, you'd remember sleeping with me."

"What was he doing? I can barely handle myself around him as it is and now he's flirting?", She thought to herself.

She gets out of the bed sighing and goes to get ready for the wedding.