Chapter 6: Wrestling

“Read em and weep,” Race exclaimed, putting down three kings on the sidewalk, “I win.”

                The newsies grumbled in annoyance, Spot included. They handed over the cigarettes they were betting instead of money. Spot threw down his losing hand.

                “I swear ya cheat, Race,” he swore, “Ya always win.”

                “Don’t blame Race cause ya a sore loser,” I interjected.

                “You know him better than I do. Ya know how he is.”

                “And I know ya too. Blamin’ everyone but yaself.”

                Spot scoffed and turned away from me. I kissed his cheek making him laugh despite himself. I glance over at Jack who wasn’t joining in the fun. He stared at me and Spot with a bubbling envy. I sighed. His eyes flitted to my lips and back to my eyes. We locked gazes for a moment, his hurt and pleading. I turned away.

                “I don’t wanna play cards no more,” Spot spoke up, “Not if Race is gonna win all da time.”

                “Den what do ya propose we do?” Kid Blink asked.

                “How about arm wrestlin’?” Jack finally said, “I challenge Spot.”

                I narrowed my eyes at him while Spot grimaced excepting the challenge. Spot was strong, but Jack was fuelled on jealousy. Why couldn’t he just leave well enough alone? Why couldn’t he see I didn’t love him? Jack sat down in a chair outside the diner. Spot sat down across from him and the newsies gathered around. I stood behind Spot. Jack cracked his knuckles stretching out his hands. Spot looked at me.

                “Kiss for luck?” he asked.

                I gave him a peck on the lips. Jack’s face turned into a scowl. He readied himself and put his arm on the table. Jack and Spot linked hands. Mush counted down and the wrestle was on. The newsies were cheering for who they were rooting for. Jack was winning so far but Spot wouldn’t give up. Spot started to get the upper hand. He pulled Jack’s hand down slowly as Jack fought back. Spot slammed Jack’s hand down and the newsies rooting for Spot cheered. His victory was only short lived. Jack jumped across the table and landed on Spot knocking them both to the ground. His hands were around Spot’s neck. Spot punched Jack in the face rolling them over so he was on top of him hitting him repeatedly. They went at it, both of their faces bloody and bruised. No one was going to intervene so I had to. I grabbed Spot’s arm and tried to yank him off of Jack.

                “Stop it!” I screamed, “Stop both of you!”

                I saw Spot turn around and felt his fist connect with my face. I fell back, my nose bloody and I felt like it was broken. Everyone stopped and stared at me. Spot was dumbstruck for a moment then ran over to me.

                “Les, I’m sorry,” Spot kept apologizing, “I didn’t know it was you. I’m sorry. I’m sorry.”

                “I’m ok,” I lied.

                Jack grabbed Spot by the shirt and pushed him into the street and kept pushing him back. Spot tried to get to me put Jack was stronger at the moment. “You hurt her!”

                “It was an accident.”

                Jack continued to push Spot yelling at him. Spot didn’t fight back, but kept trying to get passed Jack to me. I didn’t see the carriage coming until it was too late. Jack moved out of the way, but Spot wasn’t fast enough. His body was trampled under the hooves of the horses and the wheels of the carriage. Everything went silent and the only thing that could be heard was my earsplitting