Chapter 15: A nice Christmas gift

(I know I haven't written in forever and all of you probably thought I was dead, but I'm back! I just haven't really had inspiration to write for the newsies, but now I do. Hopefully, I'll write the last few chapters of this story next week. Enjoy :D )

7 months later, I had my baby. A beautiful baby boy with my eyes and Jack’s blond hair. I named him Alex. I wasn’t sure why. I just liked the name. For 7 months, I wished I could see Spot. I thought about him everyday. I missed feeling the weight of his key around my neck. I hated Jack for taking me away from him and trapping me in a cellar where no one could find me.

It was winter, close to Christmas. The cellar was getting colder due to the constant snowfall. Jack would go out of the cellar to steal food for me and Alex and then come back. We didn’t have coats or blankets. Alex was freezing and so was I.

Jack came back down into the cellar with a bag full of food. I was sitting on one of the boxes rocking Alex. “Jack, were freezin’ down here.”

“It ain’t that cold.”

“You try bein’ down here everyday. Alex is gonna freeze ta death. And if he dies, I’m killin’ you too.”

“What do you wan’ me ta do about it?”

“We need ta get outta dis cellar.”

“For what? So ya can go an’ see Spot or da udder newsies? Forget about it.”

“No, we need to get out of dis cellar, Jack. Ya doin’ wan’ me or Alex freezin’ ta death do ya?!”

Jack rolled his eyes. “Fine. Ya can get outta here. Jus’ don’ go lookin’ for Spot. I’ll know i if ya do.”

Jack let me out of the cellar. It was nice to feel the air on my face despite the cold. I wrapped Alex in my skirt trying to get him some warmth. His body was shaking. I had done a lot of thinking over 7 months. If I was doomed to be with Jack, I couldn’t keep Alex. I had no money and no job. Jack had gone crazy and I wasn’t sure if the old Jack was still in there. Alex had to go where he would be safe and fed and happy even if that wasn’t with me. I was never meant to be a mother so young, maybe not ever.

Jack disappeared back into the cellar. I took my chance and ran through the snow covered streets. I took the alley ways trying to get far from Jack before he came out of the cellar and realized I was gone. I made it to the rich part of town where all the big houses were. Thanks to Sydeny, I knew my way around the big townhouses. I found a house with a nice yard and pillars in front of the house. All the lights were on. I looked around to see if Jack or his goons had followed me. I went up to the front of the house. I looked down at Alex.

“I’m sorry I couldn’t take care of ya,” I whispered, “But I’m too young. Maybe dat’s how my folks were when dey left me at the orphanage. But I ain’t gonna let ya go to no orphanage. Ya ain’t gonna grow up like I did. Dis is a big house, probably wit rich, nice people inside. Ya gonna like it here. An’ maybe ya won’ ever know I’m ya real mama, but I’ll know I am. An’ maybe ya won’ know Jack is ya real papa, but ya don’ wanna know him. He was a nice guy before all a dis. Maybe he can be again. I love ya, little buddy. Ya gonna make someone a nice Christmas gift.”

I smiled at him and kissed his head. I felt tears forming in my eyes. I put Alex down on the porch and rang the doorbell. I ran from the porch and hid behind the front gate. A woman who looked about in her 30s opened the door. She looked down when she heard Alex start crying. She picked him up and looked around like she expected to find someone who had accidentally left their baby on her doorstep. She started to rock him and took him inside the house. I waited until the door closed to walk away. I wiped the tears from my eyes. Alex would be ok. He would live happily with a rich family and never know he came from an attack on the streets.

I trudged through the snow and headed back through the alleys. I managed to avoid Jack and make my way to Brooklyn. It was unusually quiet. I made it to the harbor. The boys were asleep on the loading docks as usual. I made my way through them to the end of the harbor. The familiar boy is sitting on the edge watching the lanterns touch the waters.

“Still lookin’ at lights, cocky newsie?” I say.

Spot turned around and looked up at me. I had never seen him look so surprised or so tired. He looked like he hadn’t slept in weeks. “Les…”

“Hi ya, Spot.”