Chapter 14: I'm sure I will

*So...I got this idea from DjGracieG. It wasn't orginally what she put, but it gave me the idea for this next part so thank you!! And once again, thank you all for reading my story! I read all your comments so don't think just because I don't update all the time, I don't pay attention to what you guys say. Enjoy the next chapter :)*

Jack led me through the dirty streets of the Bronx. I had been there before with Crutchy, but in the dark it looked like every type of shadow was lurking in the alleyways. We came to an apartment building that was boarded up with a chipped for rent sign on the window. Obviously, no one had lived there for years. We went around the house to the hatch that led to the basement. Jack took the broken lock of the door and opened the hatch. He helped me down into the basement then came down himself. The basement was dusty and I could hear the faint sound of rats nibbling on food. Down there were two largely built boys that looked like they could be from Brooklyn, but obviously weren’t. Jack came beside me, his hand on the small of my back.

                “Les, dis is Harris and Milo,” he introduced, “I met em while I was away for a while. We got real close.”

                “I came with you, Jack,” I said, my voice sturdy, “Now where’s Spot?”

                Milo disappeared into the dark space that wasn’t lit by the small blub. He came back into the light holding Spot with his hands tied behind his back. Spot’s face was bloody and bruised like the day he had gotten jumped by the bulls.

                “Les!” Spot yelled, “You betta not touch her, Kelly!”

                “I already have,” Jack smirked putting his hand on my stomach. Spot narrowed his eyes looking like he would love to hit Jack if Milo let him go. Jack’s grin grew. “Now, I jus’ wanna do some business, here. You know all about business, don’t ya Spot? Well, my business is plain and simple. Ya leave Les and our baby alone and ya don’ get hurt. Don’t dat sound reasonable?”

                “Not on ya life, Cowboy! Les ain’t goin’ nowhere wit you and you ain’t gonna touch dat kid!”

                “Dat kid is mine. You ain’t got no claim to what’s mine, Conlon. Now either ya back off or things get ugly.”

                “Go ahead! Beat me til I’m dead. Les will never love ya like she loves me.”
                “Who said anythin’ about hurtin’ you?”
                Harris walked over to me and grabbed me by my hair pressing a knife to my throat. I gasped looking at Spot whose expression had gone from angry to worry.

                “Now, I ain’t gonna kill her,” Jack continued running a finger down my cheek, “But ya would do anythin’ to see her not get hurt.”

                “What happened to you, Kelly?”

                “You did. Ya took da only thing I really loved. Now I’m takin’ it back.”

                “Ok, Jack, you win,” I finally spoke up.

                They all turned to me. “What are ya talkin’ about?” Jack asked.

                “Ya win, Jack. Ya wan’ me right? Well den, ya can have me. Baby and everythin’. I won’ fight. I won’ say nothin’. Just on one condition.”

                “And what is dat?”

                “Ya gotta let Spot go. And Spot, ya can neva come lookin’ for me.”

                “Les….”

                “I mean it, Spot. Neva. Jus’ forget about me. So, Jack…is it a deal?”
                Jack looked from me to Spot and back at me. Harris let me go and it took me a minute to catch my breath. I put my hand on my stomach instinctively. Jack took me around the waist pressing me to his side. Milo untied Spot. He moved slightly to come to me, but I shook my head.

                “Guess ya was wrong, Spot,” Jack said, “She will love me like she loved you.”

                “Ya a cruel man, Kelly.”
                “Head back to Brooklyn.” Jack grabbed the key around my neck and broke the chain. He threw it onto the floor in front of Spot. “An’ take dis wit ya.”

                Spot picked up the key and looked at me. I was on the verge of tears, but I couldn’t cry in front of Jack. Spot turned and left the basement.

                “You’ll be happier wit me, Les,” Jack whispered to me, “You’ll see.”

                “I’m sure I will.”