Under My Spell

Chapter 1: Black Magic

My name? Forget it. Doesn't matter right now. My address? Take a hike instead. If you do want to know about me, then you can have this. I've been a witch ever since I was a baby and I've always worn my witch hat with the various coloured ribbons for each day of the week. Don't ask. It's a family rule. I've also been tasked with working at my father's company: Bains and Company. It's a seven company business for giving business advice and they're scattered around Europe. All day, I'm the secretary. In fact, I'm the only secretary since my dad's too cheap to hire another. At least, I can toy with people unbeknownst to them. Why not? It's not like there's anything better to do, so why not have a bit of fun? Sometimes, I try to do good with my magic, such as get people together or help them to be more confident for their meeting, but I have to be in a good mood. I live by myself, because, take a guess. My dad is too cheap to pay for me. I found a lovely flat at 190 Strand Street, which is a peg down the road from my job. It's quite a new block of flats and has just been finished last month. I've had my eye on it since construction began and moved in as soon as I could so I could be closer to my job.

Today is a Monday, but is no different than any other day, so I headed out of my flat with my red ribboned hat and took my bike to Bains. Driving my car there would be mad considering all the traffic. Biking was once again a challenge, as I had to wear the stupid work uniform which consisted of a black skirt and red blazer with the logo on the front. I arrived and sat down at the front desk which was on display for all of Strand to see, since the front wall was entirely made of glass. My dad doesn't want me to do magic in public or else I would simply transport myself to work everyday. I twisted my mouth to the side and opened up a volume of Harry Potter. Yeah, I know. I'm pretty mainstream. Since no one was in the lobby, I pulled my ear to move the watering can and water the plants. Of course, at that exact moment, a young man came in, so I immediately let the can drop as carefully as I could.

"Hello, welcome to Bains and Company," I greeted. "Yes, I need to speak to Mr. Shaver," he informed. "Can I have a name?" I inquired. "Dillon Thrasher," he replied as I browse the appointment list. "Here we are. Dillon Thrasher. Head upstairs to his office, please," I instructed. No magic on him. He seemed pretty normal. I wish I could say the same for the next person. As soon as Dillon left, an elderly man walked in. "Hello, welcome to Bains and Company," I smiled. "Is that what secretaries wear these days? What happened to skirt suits? And why are you wearing that dumb hat? It's not Halloween!" the old man snapped, "If I were your father, I'd teach you a lesson!" Some people try to keep calm. I don't even bother. "For your information, this is as formal as I get at 8:00 in the morning. I could have opted for the other uniform, but I'm not really a grey person. I'm guessing you're here to see my father. If that's the case, then you can direct your complaints to him instead of berating the secretary. Now, I need your name so meeting can begin," I frowned. "Jeffery Williams...I'm going to file a complaint to the BBB," he scoffed. I checked the list and motioned him on. I couldn't let him leave quite yet. "No... You think my outfit's just fine and you're not going to file a complaint," I corrected as I wiggled my ear. "I'm so terribly sorry. I don't know what I was thinking. You outfit is spot on and I'm not going to file a complaint," he smiled as he headed upstairs. "One more," I muttered under my breath as I wiggled my ear again. The man turned around from the stairs and chuckled. "I'm just a grumpy old man who can't accept the present and hangs onto the past to make himself feel better," he informed as he entered my dad's office. "That's what I thought," I smiled as I opened back up Harry Potter and when the old geezer left, I had my nose too far buried in my book to see his grumpy face.

At the end of a long day's work, I made my way back home to find my dad waiting on me, even though I left before him. "How long had you been waiting?" I asked. "About three minutes," he replied. It only took five minutes on bike, so he must have transported since he didn't pass me. "Why are you here?" I inquired as I raised an eyebrow. "Does a father need a reason to see his daughter?" he chuckled as he stood up. "He does when he forces his daughter to work at his own bloody company," I remarked grudgingly. "Now, now. I came by to help you perfect your magic," he informed. "I don't need any help," I replied as I wiggled my ear to transport delivery pizzas to my kitchen table. "Where did you get those?" my dad inquired. "I ordered it earlier. I just went and saved them the trouble of bringing it over," I smiled. "That's exactly it. I think you do need some help," he pointed out. "You do what you want to with your magic and I'll do what I want with mine. How's that?" I smirked, "Not only that. But I have my own flat now and it's quite charming. As much as you might fancy it, you don't live here. You have your own home: Bains, apparently." "Very funny, my dear, but I live in a house on the edge of London," dad remarked. "Well, I think you've said you've said your peace and I'd fancy some peace and quiet," I sighed. "Very well. Do as you wish. I'm sure you can magic your way out of a witch hunt when it happens," dad replied sarcastically as he transported out.