Undefeated (chapter 14)

Chapter 14

// Jamie \\

I'm left standing alone. Frozen.

I can see her in the distance. She's walking away slowly, as if there's a string that's tied between us and she's trying to pull away.

The bell rings loudly and I swivel on my heels and walk away. I hear giggling behind me. "Look at her, she's such a loner!" I turn around immediately. "Don't talk about Lily like that!" Katie flinches. She smiles dryly, as if there's no hint of happiness in it. She dangles a finger around, and the object on it tinkles. Keys. She laughs when she sees the confused expression plastered on my face. "They're Lily's keys, dummy." She giggles. I feel a pang of disgust. I glare at her. Her expression turns from cheeky to retreated. I reach for them before she can notice me. She pulls away. She mouths, No and she walks away. I walk behind her.

Okay, Jamie, the only way she's going to give them to you is if... An idea seeps into my mind. I run after her. I turn her around and I kiss her. I taste bile in my throat. She makes a sound of surprise and then she moans. I sneakily grab the keys from her hands and put it in my pockets. I separate from her quickly. She smiles. "I liked that." She said.

I nod and I run away before she could suspect anything.

// Lily \\

I walk through the woods again.

Shit. Crapshitcrapshitcrap.

I just forgot to do the main thing I was supposed to do when I retreated back to school. My Keys.

My palms start to sweat and I have to wipe them on my jeans several times before I cool down. You're going to find your keys,Lily. I tell myself reliantly. Why do I get so distracted these days? Since mom left, the world has fallen to pieces like a jigsaw puzzle. Maybe it's Jamie... Okay! No time to think about him right now.

Keys.Keyskeyskeyskeys. If I have no keys,I have no way to get into my house which is bad. Veryveryverybad.

The sound of a rustling bush comes to life. I stumble and I trip over a vine. Someone grasps my shoulders. I scream.

"Whoa,whoa,whoa,calm down." He says. I can't believe my eyes. Jamie is standing before me with my keys in one hand and panting. I'm too startled to speak. Okay,breathe. A smirk plays on his face. "You weren't expecting this were you?" He asks, pointing to himself. I can't help but laugh. "No,I wasn't,actually. There you go,my confession." I laughed again, but this time of relief. He gives me his hand and he pulls me up, but I trip again, causing me to fall onto him. His cotton shirt is soft and warm. I almost felt like snuggling up in it. He lifts me off him and chuckles to himself. "I've never seen a clumsy side of you." He says, handing me my keys. "Thanks. Like a lot." I say, hoping he won't see me blushing. "So how about, you come to my place and we watch a movie or something." He smiles. But this just makes my heart pound faster. "Yeah,I guess." I stammer. Katie won't ever know, and I'll just have to cross the line. I shove my keys into my pocket. He smiles again and leads the way.