Undefeated (chapter 8)

Chapter 8

//Jamie\\

"So,Jamie,are you single?"Katie asks me while twirling her blond hair.

"Uuuhhh,yeah?"I say nervously.

She pauses for a second and flashes me one of her radiant smiles."...cool."

I sip my coffee and I look out the window.Lily.With her dark auburn hair and bright green eyes.

"So,you're a scholarship student?"Katie asks sipping her iced mocha.

"Yeah,I studied at Harvard's for two years before going back to England,then coming here."I say,watching her try to look interested.

"Hmmm.Smartass."She laughs and touches my arm.

I pretend to chuckle but it doesn't come too good.

"I say,we get to know eachother more,so,let's have lunch together tomorrow."She says,leaning towards me slowly.

"Uuh,I was going to-"I suggest but she cuts me off.

"Then it's settled,meet me under K block at 12:45pm."She smiles radiantly.

"Uuh,-"I was about to say again.

"Bye,Jamie."She leans in to kiss me on the cheek before leaving the café.

My cheeks heat up with anger and embarrassment.I actually wanted to hang out with Lily,but she obviously doesn't like me.

.

.

.

Lily

I lay sprawled out on my bed,doodling over my algebra homework book.There are scribbles of eyes,random words in strange fonts and weird quotes written over and under the other doodles.My phone buzzes loudly on my desk.

2 new messages.

Katie: Wanna join Jamie and I for lunch tomorrow?

I re-read the message.Jamie and I?

Me:No,thanks.

Katie: Have lunch or I will tell everyone about the Incident.Everyone.

Me: Fine.

Katie: Alrighty,K block,12:45 pm bitch.

Ugh.Lunch with Katie.That doesn't sound good.

I check the other message.

Mum: I have to leave to Boston for a business trip,honey.Will that be alright?

Another business trip!?This is her sixth trip.

Me: I'll be fine,mum.

Mum: .I'm leaving tomorrow at 5am.

Me: ok.

Mum: I'm coming home at 12 am tomorrow,so you'll be asleep.

Me: Wow,night shifts?

Mum: Yes.

Me: Be safe.

Mum: You too.If you need anything,ask Anne.

Me: Anne?

Mum: Anne Elizabeth,Jamie's wonderful mother.She's normally not home though,so you'll have to ask Jamie.

Me: Gtg.Homework.

To be honest,I am actually getting worried about her and her business trips and night shifts.

I go downstairs to fetch myself some hot chocolate.Too much has happened today.Mum's fifth business trip,Katie asking me to have lunch.Sigh.I sip the hot chocolate slowly while watching the news.Deaths,deaths,tragedy,destruction,oooohhhh.Oscars.

When I was a child,I always wanted to be an actress.But now,being the most low-class student in high school,there's no chance.