Inner Demons

Damian blinked awake, his breathing heavy and thoughts jumbled as he found a worried Mar'i in front of him. He was in his room, unsure of why he was there or how he managed to get there. In fact, the last thing he remembered was Mar'i crying while scolding him about pushing himself too hard and taking things too far. He slowly sat up from his resting position, even more memories rushing into his head as her delicate hand grazed over his. He flinched the slightest bit against her warm touch, which just made her tighten her grip on his hand. He laced their fingers as he began to remember more. Now the last thing he could remember was waking up in this very room a day or two prior, being told by Alfred to get rest as the rest of the bats, except for Mar'i that is, came to talk or dine with and comfort him.
     He sighed quietly, then moved best he could as the thin girl slotted herself besides him, still sitting up while she lifted a hand to comb through his hair.
"Habibi, are you okay?"
"I... I believe I am."
"You look distressed. Are you sure you're alright?"
"What did I do to myself?"
"The league attacked. You fought so hard... you pushed yourself so far that you collapsed from exhaustion and your wounds. You worried me to death, Damian."
     His grip on her hand tightened a bit. The league. Of course. His grandfather and mother could just let him be happy, now could they? He grunted lowly, carefully pulling the gorgeous figure in front of him to his person. That's what woke him. Dastardly visions of him joining the team of assassins once more is what haunted him. He didn't want to go back to what he once was. He didn't want her to leave because of what he was.
"Do you remember?"
"I barely recall."
"Well... maybe it's better that you don't remember, we d-"
"Mar'i."
"Yes?"
"How much do you love me?"
"Words can't describe how much I love you, Damian. Why do you-"
"Would you love me even if I became one of them?"
"One of who?"
"One of them. One of the league members. A god damn assassin!"
"X'hal, Habibi, is this what's got you all worked up?"
"I'm not 'worked up' Mar'i. I'm fearful that this is what I might become. I'm worried that they'll come for me, or even worse... they'll come for you."
"Damian, I'll never let that happen."
"You have no control over what they do, you don't know what they'll do to-"
    "Quiet." She mumbled softly, leaning forward to press a gentle kiss to his lips. After a mere second of bliss, she pulled away from Damian, only to hold her hand against his cheek as he carefully ran his rough hands along her figure.
"Mar'i..."
"Yes?"
"I love you."
"I love you too, Damian. And may X'hal never let you forget that. I will never stop loving you. Not even on the day I die will I stop. You mean so much to me, Habibi. Please remember that."
"I will... but I'm afraid that's what concerns me too. What if they come for you, Habibti... what if they take you from me? What if they come after you and kill you, turning me back to my former life of murder?"
      She held him close, her somewhat expressionless eyes staring sympathetically into his icy blue orbs. You could see his inner torment. If this were to be her, she'd be screaming and crying. It hurt her to see him bottling up his emotions in this way, yet she knew he couldn't express them as freely as she could. She knew he felt like he had to uphold this cold and emotionless personality... and she knew he couldn't do anything other behave that way.
"I would never let that happen. Your father would never let that happen. My father would never let that happen. We will all ensure that this terrible fate is never bestowed upon you, Habibi. Not while I'm here."
     He nodded slowly, glancing into her eyes as he held one of his hands on her cheek and the other rested on her hips. She held him tightly, his eyes shutting closed as he pulled her even closer to himself. Once she was securely in his lap, he just took in her figure. Her long enchanting hair, her perfect golden skin, and her astounding green eyes. He thought of the way her personality seeped through her being to make her an even more incredible of a person. He really did love her. She meant the world to him. He meant the world to her. She was honest in everything she told him. But that didn't soothe his anxieties.
     He was stubborn and unwilling to believe most things told to him. And as a former member and the heir to the ruler of the empire that was the league, he knew it better then anyone else. He knew they were ruthless and willing to do everything and anything it took to get to their goal. Which is what scared him the most... but he wouldn't let these tainted thoughts ruin the beliefs of the extraordinary woman in front of him. He took a deep breath and leaned his head back, allowing the smaller figure to cling to him.
"I know you're still afraid, Habibi."
"Mar'i, I'm not a-"
"You can't lie to me about your emotions, Damian. I can read emotions like a book. And I know yours much too well."
     He took another deep breath and sighed, nuzzling her head and taking in the scent if hair. Even though she was right, he wouldn't say anything about it.
"Habibti... just drop the topic and tell me about your day?"
"Only if you're o-"
"I'm fine. Please... just talk to me. I desire to hear your voice."
"Well... alright"
     And with that she told him every little detail about her day. Which made him smile the slightest bit. He listened to her ramble for the next half hour, pressing kisses against her skin as she spoke. It made her smile when he did this. She enjoyed these little bits of affection that he gave her. He enjoyed giving her this sort of affection. It was satisfactory on both ends... just, it wasn't enough to make the young man forget about his fears.

// sorry, it's another nightmare esque story!
// I hope you all enjoyed this one, please feel free to leave requests!