Lovely (ch 10)

"Hey Austin, it's Lola. Um, I hope were still on for tonight. If so give me a call. I have some good news I wanna share with you. Anyways see you later." I left a message on Austins phone.

Tonight I was supposed to go to his house for dinner. I felt bad and I really wanted to invite Austin and his mom to my house for dinner but with all the adoption stuff and social workers coming over I don't think I could have him over.

"Hey." Corey said as I walked into our room.

"Hi." I muttered.

"So I was talking with Julia and she said once everything is settled and all the adoption papers are done and you and Nathan make up your minds then we can all choose our own rooms so we won't be crammed together." she said tapping at the phone in her hand.

"Awesome." I pursed my lips.

My phone buzzer and I giddily checked it hoping it'd be Austin. It wasn't.

It was Jordan, she texted me asking if I wanted to come over to her house tomorrow. I looked to Corey.

"Are we doing anything tomorrow?" I asked.

"No, Marcus and Morris are going to a sports game. But the rest of us aren't doing anything." she said.

"Okay." I paused.

"Corey, how does it feel. Being adopted. I mean, what about your dad and your brother? How do you feel now that you are a part of a family?" I asked.

"You know, to be honest at the time I signed the papers I didn't think of anything but myself. I thought, what would be better for me? You know.. And when I'm 19 and I get a place I'm going to try to get custody of my little brother. I just want to have a good future. And I want him to be safe and happy." she said. And honestly I think that's about the smartest most deepest thing she's ever said.

"Okay." I said.

I texted Jordan, "sure. text me the address."

I shoved my phone in my pocket and ran downstairs. I slid into the kitchen. Julia was sitting at the table reading a newspaper.

"Julia," I said.

She looked up from her newspaper and glanced my way.

"What's up Lols?" she asked.

"Someone told me that I had to think about myself, and my future and what might be better for me. I don't see a future with my grandparents or my dad. They've been out of my lives for the longest time. I can make a spot for them in my life but they can't be my center... so long story short... Yes, I want to be adopted." I said sure of myself.

Julia shot up from the table and smiled widely giving me a big hug.

"Lola, welcome to the family." she said hugging me tightly.

~

It was getting late in the afternoon. It was 5:37 and Austin didn't text back.

I just decided to go to the tree and see if he was there.

I went through the back door, and took a side street. I got there and heard a whistling rhythm. Austin. I smiled widely and took off to the tree and looked up and saw him leaning against the trunk of the tree letting his feet dangle as he whistled.

"Hey! We still on for tonight!" I called up. He looked down and flashed his bright white teeth.

"Yeah, you coming up?" he called.

"Uh, yeah." I said grabbing the first branch and hoisting myself up.

And my way up he continued whistling this soft unfamiliar tune that I very much enjoyed.