Chapter 18

The night of the dance on our way to the party I wasn't feeling well so Austin drove me home but the next morning I woke up choking. Something happened and my lungs gave in and I was wheezing to breathe. I thought that was it. Julia and Morris rushed me to the hospital. They said I would have to stay in the hospital for a long while. I'd have to quickly start Chemotherapy. Which felt very weird. The nurse told me I'd get used to it. I guess I would. The one thing I don't think I could live without was my hair and it slowly started falling out that weekend after the dance. Only family has been able to see me since. My dad came to visit. He was crying. My grandparents also came with balloons and teddy bears. It was really thoughtful of them. Larry has sent me cards saying "get well soon". Austin has been sending me texts every minute of every hour.

That night after we danced to his song we went out into the hall. Like any other teenagers we were making out. He was apologizing and calling me princess. When I told him I wasn't feeling well he even carried me to the car. I did feel special when I was with him. I didn't see Dylan the rest of the night.

Jordan called saying the party was boring without me but tomorrow on visiting day she'd come see me. I honestly couldn't wait.

"Lola! Hey!" Corey said walking in my room. My hospital room was small. White walls and white floors. Pale yellow curtains and dim yellow light. I was really tired even though I haven't moved much. The doctor said I'd have to go through pain before I could recover.

A metaphor from Jeff.

"Life is like a cereal box, Lola. You know? You go through all the tough parts, as in the gross cereal (Jeff doesn't like cereal) to get to the prize at the end."

Corey always came in with a smile. Julia told them not to cry in front of me cause it might bum my mood but honestly the only thing bumming my mood was the fact that I had to wait 21 hours to see Austin. I know it may sound a little corny how Austin and I can go from a fight to 'I love you' in a matter of minutes but that's because we are afraid to lose each other.

"Hi Corey." I said.

I hated being tired all the time. The doctors said I could be home bound next week if everything ended up being okay.

"Do you need rest? I can come back later."she said.

"No, I could really use someone to talk to." I said.

"I saw Austin in the lobby. He really wants to see you. No joke, the kid stayed here over night." Corey said. I didn't say anything.

"Lola, Austin really loves you. Like he really loves you. I heard about the fight and... guys can be dumb sometimes. But Austin only messed up what? Once? Twice? If he is willing to stay perfect the rest of the time then he's willing to do anything for you. You have a good guy." Corey said.

"I know. It's just, I can't even explain the way my heart beats for him. I get so angry because I don't know why I love him. I just do." I said.

Just then Julia popped up.

"That's how I feel about Morris, sweet heart." she said. She came in and sat next to Corey.

"Love is a need. A necessity for humans. We want it but we don't easily give it out." Julia said.

"Just like you Lola. I don't think you've ever loved anyone before Austin." Corey said.

I nodded but it wasn't true. I loved Nathan before I loved Austin.

"I can't wait to see Nathan." I blurted out. Julia winced and her eyes teared.

"Lola don't say that. You're going to make it." Julia said.