Eighteen

A gust of wind blew through my open windows and sent a shiver down my spine. With an all too casual flick of my hand, I sent it whirling back outside and into the night.

I chuckled to myself. Perhaps these foreign powers would be good for something after all.

I sat up straight against the head board and pulled my knees to my chest, pulling my blankets up tighter around my body as I sighed and stared at the wall.

Sleep was hopeless for me right now, I knew. My thoughts were still stewing and growing and branching. My body was hyperaware as well, alerted despite the comfort of my room.

A light knock sounded on my door, startling me back into reality as I turned and prepared to welcome someone in.

Before I could speak, Klaus came into my room rather quickly, slipping the door shut quietly behind him and turning to me.

"I know I should have waited, but if Silas were to see me, I'd never hear the end of it." He said apologetically, flashing me a small smile.

I was somewhat happy he was in a pleasant mood again, but I was even happier that he'd returned at all.

"He was here earlier." I told the truth.

To my surprise, all I received in return was a resigned sigh, "I know."

"Klaus, look, I'm sorry about earl—"

"Don't apologize, Aurelia." He said gently, though he'd interrupted me. Slowly, he crossed the floor to my bedside and took a seat right next to me.

"If anything, I should be sorry." He placed a warm hand on my head, petting my hair gently and warming my heart with the fondest of gazes.

"I'm glad you came back." I spoke before I'd even known I had words to say, and a smile crossed my lips.

Klaus moved closer to me, sitting up next to me and pulling me onto his chest.

"Well, I think it's time you get the whole truth." He said, his face set in determination despite how obviously perturbed he was.

I sat up straighter and looked at him seriously, "I'm ready, Klaus. I'll be okay, as long as I have you."

He gave me a soft smile.

"I do have one warning though," he said, his eyebrows knitting together.

Quickly I nodded, prompting him further.

His hand stroked my back, right along what I felt was my scar, and he said gently, "After everything is out in the open... your body will being to.. change."

I gulped, asking a question I already knew the answer to, "Wings?"

He kissed my forehead in an attempt to calm me, "And a little more."

Get it together, Aurelia. I scolded myself. It's much too late to be getting nervous now!

Looking up at him, I nodded steadily, "I understand. I'm ready."

Klaus smiled a comforting smile, "To be quite honest, I never thought about exactly how to say everything. Where would you like me to start?"