Twenty

Helloooo. So this is my first author's note. Just wanted to let you guys know that updates may be a little slower than usual for the next month or so. My junior year of high school has started and it's stressful, not to mention I'm juggling my after school activity for the first part of the year so bare with me for a bit and thank you all for reading!

Also note that the lead female character's name is pronounced "ARE-UH-LEE-UH."

~~~~~~~~

Though the mood had shifted drastically from when Otto had transported us to when we woke up, I was beginning to feel a bit more on edge again after Theo opened the door and entered the room.

I looked out into the hall while the door was open, barely catching the hint of whispers and what looked like a flash of yellow past the threshold.

Theo closed the door behind him.

He appeared to be in no haste or urgency, to my surprise, flitting over to Klaus and I gracefully as he smiled happily, "Oh how relieved I am to see you're alright, my Lady!"

He turned to Klaus then, dipping into a bow with his grin over his small face, "And you must be Master Klaus. We welcome you to the Vale."

Klaus looked at me, saw my agitation, and returned to Theo with a polite nod.

"Now, You're Majesty," Theo said quickly, his friendly features set in a way that told me he was planning something. "If you would come with me to our castle wardrobe? I see you both are still dressed for sleep, and we wouldn't want you greeting the King and Queen in such—"

What??

"Woah, woah, woah," Klaus responded before I could. "Who said were speaking with the King?"

Theo drew his eyebrows together, still attempting a smiling face, "Master Klaus, as you know, it is vital the Princess speak with her parents about her ascension—"

"Stop!" I exclaimed, my head beginning to cloud and a pit forming in my stomach. "Please stop, Theo."

Princess. Ascension. Oh God.

He turned to me suddenly, unable to hide his surprise, and then quickly dipped into a respectful bow, "Forgive me, my Lady, but I don't understand."

And neither did I. I turned to Klaus at that moment, not really with any intent to speak but maybe to find comfort in his eyes. He looked at me gently, placing a strong arm around my waist and nodding at me. Looking at him and thinking about Theo at our side, I was swiftly reminded that our morning respite for the night's horrors was over.

Now new ones were infiltrating my thoughts. New horrors of wars and kingdoms, fairies and faeries, royalty and politics. What was I getting myself into? Or, more accurately, what I had been destined for?

"Theo," I started out slowly, trying my hardest to halt my mounting panic. "This is a lot for me, and I've only been aware of it for a couple of hours. I need more time."

"Time is not something we have a lot of, kid."

Every head in the room turned to Otto, who had seemingly snuck his way through the door unnoticed and now floated leisurely in the air.

Theo bowed his head in thought, catching my eye, and sighing loudly.

"Otto is right, my Lady," he said regretfully, his eyes soft with what appeared to be guilt.