Eight

"Watch your step." Klaus said, turning around and taking my hand as I stepped over yet another fallen log.

When Klaus had told me we were going "out," I'd assumed he meant he'd show me around Donelu.

But here we were, a good two miles into the snow-covered forest behind the Goldstein estate.

Klaus, noticing my state of cold, faced me completely and pulled my coat tighter around me, "I can't have you catching a cold— Mother would lecture me into next month."

I laughed, showing a small smile as Klaus held tightly onto my hand.

"Where are we going?" I asked finally, my body beginning to go numb with cold.

Klaus flashed me a smirk, "You'll see. Just be patient, we're almost there."

Sure enough, after a few more minutes of walking, we came across a barely noticeable clearing beyond a thicket of trees and bushes.

Klaus led me out of tree line, pulling me forward until I saw what we had came for: a huge log cabin, a long porch stretching around the entire building.

"Woah," I breathed, Klaus dragging me forward by the hand.

When he ushered me into the cabin, it was vacant. Old-fashioned french decor donned the rooms and a large fireplace sat in the middle of the entire structure, seemingly it's anchor.

Klaus removed his coat, "Why don't you start the fire? I have something for you I need to retrieve."

I laughed, "What, Me? Start a fire?"

Klaus gave me a stern look, ignoring me as he walked up a spiral wooden staircase and called down, "I expect a fire to be going when I get back!"

"Or what?" I asked in exasperation.

"Or else." He said finally, his voice disappearing upstairs.

Ohhhhh no.

In a flurry of movement, I gathered firewood from a nearby rack and placed it in the hearth of the fireplace. Then, bracing myself on the wood I'd placed, I dug in my boot for my wand.

"Calidus Ignus, Calidus Ignus," I repeated over and over the spell to create a fire while I searched each boot for my wand.

Then I realized— I had left it on my nightstand yesterday and hadn't retrieved it this morning.

I hung my head in shame and dread, my hands still balanced on the fire wood, as I wished and wished that I could somehow start this stupid fire.

Then suddenly, a spark caught my eye. Looking up, I caught a flurry of sparks appearing over the firewood.

My stomach dropped when I realized a warm sensation was pouring out of my open palms, and I lifted them off the fire wood just high enough when suddenly a shot of fire flew from my palm and ignited the wood before me.

I fell back on my butt then, too panicked to scream and too amazed to look away.

A fire blazed in each of my palms, the only thing I felt being a dull warmth from the core of my hand.

It was when I realized that somehow my hands were on fire that I screamed bloody murder.

Klaus came dashing down the staircase, only to stop and gawk at me in awe when he saw the flames protruding from my palms and the fire burning in the hearth.

Then all of a sudden his expression cleared and he instructed me cooly, "Try clenching your fists."

I did as he instructed, reopening my hands to find the flames extinguished.

Shaken, and still a tad panicked, I clutched my hands to my chest and looked at Klaus helplessly, "What's happening to me, Klaus? I don't understand what's going on."

Tears pricked my eyes, proving how scared I really hadn't realized I was, and Klaus knelt beside me and pulled me to his chest.

"I'd expected this," he admitted calmly as he stroked my hair. "But it's alright, sweetheart, you're going to be fine. You know I'll make sure of that."

Scared, and little unsure, I nodded and breathed quietly into his chest.

Some time later, after my pulse had slowed and my legs had regained strength, Klaus lifted me to my feet and led me upstairs.

"Mother and I spoke yesterday and we both agreed that you'd appreciate this." He said, pulling me by the hand down a hallway that opened up to a sun room.

Through the glass walls I watched the snow come down over the white sheet that already covered the ground, a herd of deer with their young traipsing through the field.

Such a pure sight calmed me, and I took a relaxed breath.

Klaus released my hand then, walking steadily over to a well-polished mahogany desk and opening the first drawer with a key he pulled from his vest pocket.

I smoothed down my clothes absentmindedly, my thoughts mostly blank for the first time in days.

Then Klaus came back to me, a proud smile on his face, and showed to me the treasure that was in his hand.

I bit back a gasp.

The gift that Klaus offered up so willingly to me was a wand— delicately beautiful and carved with intricate moon-shaped symbols.

Adorning the entire length of the wand were miniature attached sculptures of roses, varying in color and size.

Without thinking, I picked it up to examine it more closely, noting how light it was despite its decorative pieces.

"It's beautiful..." I breathed, studying it even more closely.

Klaus' voice was barely a whisper, "And it's yours."

My brain registered his words too quickly and I shot my head up, "What? Are you kidding?"

I looked down at the wand in my hands; it had no doubt be expensive to have made.

"Klaus, I can't take this." I said, moving my hand forward to give it back.

But he pushed my hand away, smiling softly at me yet speaking with a tone that refused to be argued with, "You can and you will."

Gently he curled my fingers over the wand, sealing it in my fists, and continued.

"It was my Grandmother's wand. She was a lot like you, Aurelia. Willful, spirited, and a bit air headed at times."

I shot him a glare, but softened immediately when I saw his smile.

"She also could speak to animals, like you. And she loved nature, Aurelia." He paused.

He pressed his palm to my cheek then, "If she would have wanted anyone to have it, it would be you. So please accept this."

I sighed then, but my smile was impossible to fight off, "Alright. I'll take care of it, I promise."