Chapter 20: Beneath the Fire Part 2

Chapter 20: Beneath the Fire (Part 2)

I thought that I would have passed out by now. I couldn't feel most of my body, but my brain was very much working. I didn't know how James' venom was going to affect my body, but I did know his might be in jeopardy.

My eyesight became clearer and I could see that a giant wolf-like creature was attacking James. I hoped I was just hallucinating because I was frightened. I'd never seen anything like it before, even with my limited knowledge of animals. Its fur was a rusty brown, indefinable yet beautiful. The teeth were longer than my pinky finger and covered in saliva. The fight came so close sometimes that I could see these things. This wolf was dangerous, deadly. I'd like to say James was scared, but I never saw his face. I drifted away for a minute, but I was awakened by a slow broil starting in my legs.

The wolf leaped over me and its snout nuzzled my head. I stopped breathing; it disappeared again. I breathed in and I could feel a burning in my back. Another breath in and my head was scalding, but it was all on the inside. Was I turning? It didn't feel that bad. From what I'd heard from the Cullen's, it was agony. So what was really happening?

I was very warm, almost comfortable despite the circumstances. My lips were dry though from breathing through my mouth. My nose was definitely broken and it wasn't getting that burning feeling. I was sure it was only happening to the inside of my body.

A large crash led my eyes to the fight. Something was different. I could see now that the wolf was a lump on the ground, but where was James? I didn't get to see. I was transported to another enclosed forest area. Someone, a vampire, was holding me firmly yet softly. Protecting me.

"Edward!" I threw my arms around his neck and buried my face in his chest. I was embarrassed by my outburst, but could you blame me?

He pulled me away from him and kissed my forehead. "Are you alright?" he asked frantically while surveying my body.

"Um, I'm not sure," I admitted.

"Do you feel any burning?" He asked immediately after I answered his first question.

"Yeah, but it's not bad." I could see his face contorting, showing so many emotions. It was painful. "Edward. Edward! I feel fine. Better than I did before."

He was angry now. "What did he do to you?"

"He hurt me. And then he kissed me." Edward was raging quietly. "B-But it wasn't romantic. I honestly don't know why he did it."

"Did you swallow venom?"

"Yes." I paused. "Set me down."

"What?"

He was surprised at the sudden change in conversation.

"Please." He gently set me on the ground. I wobbled and Edward caught me, but I told him told him to let me go. I could stand. My body felt almost completely healed. The burning was slowly fading away and it hurt less. It would almost seem I was never hurt in the first place.

Realization swept in. "He saved me."

Edward's confusion deepened so much that I could feel it. "Bella, what are you talking about?"

"James. He's been torturing me for the past few months—"

"I know."

"—and he f—you know?"

"Yes. I'll explain it later. Continue with what you were saying."

"Uh, well, I-I, um, he almost killed me, but he made my swallow his venom and now all of the injuries inside of me are healed."