Chapter 9: Detention (Part 1)

Jessica stumbled backwards and almost fell over. She held her hand over where I had punched her and called me a name that I would rather not repeat. I had actually planned on apologizing to her . . . Yeah. Not anymore. Coach Clapp had impeccable timing and decided to walk in seconds before and saw the punch and its aftermath.

Suddenly, everything took on a dream-like quality.

"Isabella Swan, go to the principal's office! Now!" Coach yelled that, but it sounded muted. I walked out of the building in a daze. What had I done? This was not like me.

I barely registered Edward and Emmett standing outside with their Spanish class when I exited the Gym. Edward ran to me and Emmett followed after; their absence from the group was not noticed. Edward put his hands on my shoulders gently to stop me.

"Bella, what happened?" He asked, worried, looking down at my gym shirt and jeans, product of being interrupted while changing. I could understand why he was worried; it wasn't really normal attire for me.

I looked off at nothing and answered without really thinking first. "I punched Jessica Stanley in the face."

"Are you okay?" Edward asked, almost frantic now.

"Niiiiice." That was Emmett. He held his hand up; I absently high-fived him. The cold hardness of his hand woke me up from my state. I answered Edward's question.

"I'm fine, but I'm in trouble. I suppose they're expecting me at the office right now." Edward caught my eyes with his.

"I can take care of that for you," he said in a smooth, silky voice. At that moment, I didn't doubt that he could. I melted in his eyes. It was almost like he was willing me to let him do what he wanted. He figuratively pulled me into him and I didn't want to leave; I hummed in assent and nodded infinitesimally.

His lips turned up imperceptibly at the corners. I knew that if he walked away, I would follow him without a thought. His eyes closed for a second and his hold on me dropped when I realized what I'd just agreed to.

"N-What? No!" I exclaimed when I regained my common sense. "I did what I did and I have to face the consequences." I stared pointedly at him, annoyed that he'd tried to trick me.

He didn't seem to be happy about what I'd said. His face contorted, stuck between listening to me and doing what he wanted to do.

"Come on, Ed, let her live a little. Maybe getting in trouble gets her hot and you could . . . No, wait. I forgot. You guys don't 'do' that. Tsk, tsk." Emmett said, completely serious, save the last part.

My mouth fell open and my face almost bled from my blush. Edward looked about to burst with all the anger he was keeping inside of him. I put my hands to my face and errantly tried to rub the redness away.

"Emmett," Edward and I said at the same time, growling and groaning it respectively. I peeked up from my hands. The way Edward was glaring at Emmett, I wouldn't have been surprised if Emmett was reduced to a burning pyre by the end of the day.

I left them then to receive whatever punishment the school felt justified to give me. As I walked to the building that housed the offices, I thought about what Emmett had disgraced us by saying. I'd never thought of Edward and I . . . doing that. We'd kissed, but that was pretty much the extent of our physical relationship. Edward was over 100 years old. Who knew how many beautiful girlfriends he'd had? I was probably nothing compared to them.

I walked into the office feeling insecure. No one else was in there so I sat down in a plastic chair and waited, making sure not to think about what had briefly consulted my mind.