Chapter 5: Iguales

Chapter 5: Iguales

"You're not afraid?" Edward asked. He was angry. I could see he was also defeated, like no matter what he did, I wouldn't change my mind. Which was true.

"No." I was fearless, I had confronted him.

"But you're angry with me." It wasn't a question. He already knew.

"Yes, because you didn't tell me." I scoffed. "My best friend, a-a-"

"Vampire." He was right in front of me, menace rolling off of him. I didn't know why, but I couldn't bring myself to say the word. Sure, I could say it before, but now that it involved this amazing being, I was finding it harder.

"Why? Why aren't you afraid?" he asked in a low voice. I heard footsteps and a door opening and I was off my feet, in Edward's arms. Maybe the girls' bathroom at school wasn't the best place to have this conversation. Edward's feet were suddenly on the toilet of the handicap bathroom we were in, crouching down, preparing to jump. We went from one stall to the other until we were in the opposite corner of the bathroom. I looked and saw that the lady now inspecting the recently occupied stall was the vice principal. Edward opened the door and we left, but didn't go far.

"You can put me down now." I was annoyed.

"As soon as you answer my question." Ugh. "Why aren't you afraid of me?"

"You are the kindest, sweetest person I have ever met. Just the fact that you aren't a rabid killer would have been enough for me. Wait, you don't drink . . . ?" The first part was soft, but the end went up in fear.

"Human blood? No."

"Good," I said before he could tell me I was wrong to trust him, which he undoubtedly would. He kept to his promise and set me down on my feet.

"How do you know I'm not lying?" He asked, almost defeated.

"I can see it in your eyes. It screams at me whenever I look at you. You're a good person," I finished with a definite tone. "What monster could play piano as beautifully as you?" I laughed, he smiled. "But you owe me an explanation about everything," and he frowned. "A-and a lesson," I stuttered, trying to wipe that frown away.

In a second, we were in a hidden corner in the hallway; the vice principal had come out the bathroom and stood where we just were. She scratched her behind and walked the opposite way. I giggled.

"Fine, we'll have a lesson today and I will tell you about it." Reluctance was thick in his voice.

"Oh, but first I have to meet with Jessica and Angela after school." I had to pick up a study guide that I needed really badly. There was no need to fail my classes.

"Alright. We have to get back to class now. I'll see you later." He brushed my hair behind my shoulder and was gone in a flash. Vampire speed was going to take getting used to; at least a lot of the things that kept me up at night thinking about made sense. Still, some things needed serious explaining.

I figured out what he was that day after leaving his house. Charlie was flipping through channels and the word "Vampire" popped up on screen. It hit me then, even though it was just one word. There was no question, no debate or research, just truth.

His scent lingered until I could find my muscles. He did things to my mind I've never experienced before. He messed with my brain, and I liked it. I tried to remember where my class was and walked blindly until I was standing right in front of it. I walked in and sat in my seat next to Jessica. She looked sad, probably because of Mike. She practically revolved around him. I felt bad for her because Mike liked me, even though I didn't feel the same way. Sometimes, just because he felt that way, she was not cordial to me. It's a hard-knock life.