Sindri: Chapter 21

I woke up feeling groggy. The events of last night rushed back to my mind. Shame flooded my face, I can't believe I threw up in front of Kouen. I covered my eyes with my hand. How can I look the the crown prince of the Kou Empire in the eye after what I did.

The door to my room opened and Tabul and Hana entered. Tabul was stoic as always, but Hana had on an expression that I couldn't quite figure out.

"Sindri, Prince Kouen has requested that you move your belongings into his room. He would like you to move into his quarters." Tabul stated. A ripple of shock went through my body. Why would Kouen want me to move in with him after my shameful display last night? I got over my shock as Hana opened my closet and began to pack my dresses and accessories.

A short while later all of my belongings were packed and in Kouen's room. I was surprised that all of my things could fit in Kouen's room. I felt a warm bubble of emotion as I saw my dresses hanging next to his robes. Slowly I began to leaf through his robes, most of them were red.

"Does sharing a closet bother you?"

I jumped and turned to see Kouen leaning against his desk. My ears turned red at being caught looking through his clothes.

"N-no. Just looking. You have a lot of red."

"I am known as the Red Prince. Would you like me to wear another color?"

"Um, I think you would look good in yellow."

"Yellow?"

"I-I mean you don't have to."

Kouen pushed off from his desk and walked closer to me. The redness from my ears slowly crawled down to my cheeks. When I first met Kouen I was unimpressed, but now as he came closer I felt my heart speed up.

"How are you feeling? The news must have come as a huge shock."

"I knew it was inevitable, but I was surprised it happened so fast." I said as my hands shifted down to my stomach. It had come as a huge shock that I was carrying a life inside me. I almost couldn't accept that I was carrying the heir to one of the most powerful empires in the world. I drew in a breath as Kouen slowly placed his hands on mine.

"I know it's a lot to take in, but remember you're not alone."

I opened my mouth to answer him, but was interrupted by a knock at the door. Tabul, who I had forgotten was in the room, open the door and Hana came in with a tray of tea.

"I bring your daily cup of tea, ginseng tea to calm your stomach." Hana said as she set down the tray and poured me a cup. I was grateful, as my stomach was starting to get queezy. I grabbed the cup and swirled it around a bit. The sweet smell of almond danced up to my nose and I went to take a drink.

Almond.

I froze. Ginseng tea didn't have almonds in it. My mind raced through several possibilities, but I kept coming to one. Slowly I placed the cup back on the tray.

"Is there something wrong? Do you feel sick?" Kouen asked.

"Drink the tea, it will make you feel better." Hana said as she picked up the cup and held it out to me.

"Kouen, you need to investigate the kitchen staff and whoever made this tea." I said as I took the cup from Hana and set it back down.

"What do you mean?" Kouen asked.

"The tea has the scent of almonds."

"What is the problem?" Hana asked.

"Cyanide. The poison is infamous for having the scent of almonds." Tabul stated as he looked at me with realization. Hana's face went white as the color in her cheeks bled away, her eyes showed surprise and worry.