Call Me Crazy - Chapter One: Reality Check

Very short chapter though.

************************************************************************************************************

Call Me Crazy

Chapter One – Reality Check

                    “We are family. One big happy family,” my mum sang, trying to wake me up. According to her, waking up happy makes you feel happy for the rest of the day no matter what happens. I have no problem with that theory but her waking up techniques needed serious brushing up; they never give the results she had in mind.  Guess not everyone knows how to wake up their daughters who needed the ‘extra time’ for beauty sleep.

                       “Mum! Just five more minutes,” I moaned, pulling the duvet cover over me, wishing that everything apart from me and my bed would disappear. My mum pulled the duvet off me and threw it on the floor. I mentally let out a scream. I closed my eyes purposely thinking the single word abracadabra.

                          Trust me. Winnie the witch is a fake. The spell didn’t work for me. I looked around the room; there was no sign of mum. I stood up, putting my feet into my slippers, trying to make no sound at all. I stealthily crept towards the door. I needed to get out before –

“Argh!” I screamed, “Mum!”

                            That’s it. My pyjamas were done for. If you’re wondering what just happened, the thing is my mum had just spilled a bucket full of ice water on my head. She always keeps a bucket ready for me just in case I didn’t wake up.

                              I stared at my mum as she danced in celebration. She was singing something that consisted of the words: sunshine, lollipops, rainbows, peace and caravans. The truth is my mother was a hippie at heart. Either that or she was deliberately trying to get us all lalala and recycling.   I knew one thing for a fact that she only dancing to annoy me or to lighten up my mood. I laughed sarcastically – I couldn’t help it. That made her stop celebrating. She put on a serious face. I just knew what she was going to say.

                                                      Please no. Please don’t say it.

                “I need you to wake up Zoe,” she said, shrugging. Seriously, what kind of mum acts like a wild and weird teenager? It deeply affects the family big time.

                There was no arguing with this tough cookie, so I sacrificed my heart to go to Zoe’s room. Zoe was, in the nicest way to put it, an Ice Queen. She took evil to a whole new level. Every time you hang out with her, you end up thinking of revenge against people who ‘deserve it’.

                I knocked on Zoe’s door, opened it and stepped aside. Out flew a hot glue gun which stuck on the wall opposite her entrance. “It’s me,” I said, quietly walking into her room. I took in the scene of posters that displayed the art of death and killing. I smiled at her, pretending to ignore her death glare and smudged eyeliner. “You look great,” I grinned, giving her a thumbs up.

                Zoe smiled at me, looked at the clock beside her and said, “You’re late for your first day of school.”

                My mouth gaped. I was late on the first day? OK, normally I wouldn’t really care, but Zoe told me that the teachers would find their first victims by looking at the late list. FML. “But don’t worry, Tee, the bus is still out there.”

                 Thank God for that, I thought happily. I ran down the stairs, grabbed my school bag and ran into the street. As the school bus came over, I heard really loud laughter. What’s going on? A kid pointed at me, somewhere along my stomach. I looked down out of instinct.

I was still wearing my pyjamas.

A/N: I am very, very sorry that I didn’t upload for a while. I had an idea in my head, but I couldn’t bring myself to leave some gaming time to write something. So yeah, don’t blame me. But anyways, what do you think?