Chapter One

Jimin knew he should have closed the clinic early.

Jungkook had left an hour earlier, his shift ending for the day and Jimin would usually have locked the doors and shut off the lights when the kid left, but there was still a mountain of paperwork to get through and he really didn't feel like getting up early the next day just to finish them.

So, he begrudgingly sat at his desk, files and folders scattered around him, counting the minutes until he could crawl into his warm bed and not surface until his alarm screamed at him in a few hours. He loved what he did but there were some things he could really do without.

He was halfway through the first stack when frantic knocking jolted him out of his seat, heart racing at a speed he would have considered worrying if a patient of his had complained of the same thing.

More knocking sounded and he worried his door would break with how hard the person on the other side was banging on it. Checking the clock quickly and noting it was almost midnight, Jimin ran to the door, unlocking the deadbolts and throwing it open.

He probably should have checked who was standing on his doorstep first (his mother would weep at his carelessness) but his gut told him it was an emergency. His gut had never led him astray before and it would continue its winning streak as he took in the sight of a frazzled looking man carrying a bloodied and scarred figure.

"Jimin-ah! Thank god, I need your help."

Jimin tore his eyes away from the limp figure and focused them on the man who spoke. His eyes widened impossibly when he saw a face he thought he'd never see again.

"Hoseok-hyung?"

Hoseok nodded, pushing his hair away from his eyes and adjusting his hold on the body in his arms.

"Long time no see, Jimin-ah," he said, flashing Jimin his biggest smile.

"What are you doing here, hyung?" Jimin shifted his gaze to the injured man, his hands itching to help close the wounds. "Shouldn't you be at the hospital?"

"Well, a hospital isn't really in the cards right now for various reasons." Hoseok paused at Jimin's raised eyebrow. "And I know you went into medicine after college so I decided to come to you instead."

Jimin sighed, pinching the bridge of his nose. "Hoseok-hyung, we're not exactly equipped to deal with wounds this big. You really need to take your friend to the hospital."

"But I can't, Jimin-ah. Please, just do whatever you can to help him," Hoseok said, desperation seeping into his voice.

The man groaned then, shifting in Hoseok's hold. He lifted his head briefly and met Jimin's eyes and Jimin wished he hadn't because the amount of pain in those black orbs wrenched at his heart. The man's head dropped again, his eyes closed in pain and Jimin felt his resolve crack.