Chapter 5

Chapter 5:

Brianna's POV:

I felt something cool and wet wiping at my sore face. Prying an eye open, I saw my mum leaning over top of me, a damp cloth in hand. Her face sported a nasty bruise on one side.

"Mum! What..."

"Shhhh. Just relax. It's going to be ok." She stroked my hair lovingly and continued to wipe the blood oozing out of my split lip.

Closing my eyes, I tried to remember what happened. It all came back to me in an agonizing flash.

"Where is he?" I muttered past my swollen lip.

"He left after you passed out. He's probably at the bar."

Tears began to well in my eyes. He has no right to treat us like this. I knew one thing for sure; I couldn't take it anymore. The thought of leaving my mum was nearly unbearable, but I knew what I had to do.

Struggling, I managed to sit up. Every part of me ached. Everything I did sparked pain somewhere in my body, even breathing hurt.

"Do you need help?"

"No, I'm fine." I gently shrugged her off of me and somehow got to my feet. When I looked back at my mother, I could see tears rolling down her bruised cheeks.

"Mum, I'm going to be okay," I assured her.

"I was so scared..." she whispered, staring at the floor. I walked over to her and wrapped my arms around her neck, holding her tight.

"All that matters is that it's over." I buried my sore face in the crook of her neck, not wanting to leave. I sobbed into her hair. The realization that this was my last hug I would ever get from my mother was finally sinking in.

"Mum, I love you."

"I love you too Brianna. More then words can say."

Those were the last words I would ever hear uttered from her mouth. With a final sob, I pulled away and ran to my room.

-----

Sunlight was peeking through the windows as I finished stuffing clothes in my suitcase. As far as money went, I knew where my father kept his stash of 'beer money.' When no one was looking, I slipped the cash into my pocket. He would be furious, but I wouldn't be there to witness his reaction. I wandered over to my desk, pulling out a pen and paper.

'Dear mum,

I'm leaving. I can't take the abuse anymore. I don't know where I'm going to go, so don't come looking for me. Don't forget that I love you, forever and always.

-Brianna xoxo'

Tear stains were evident on the small piece of paper containing my last good-byes. This was a lot harder then I had expected. I wrote a similar note, this time dedicated to Savannah. I was going to miss them both so much.

Desperately trying to compose myself, I slipped out my window. I didn't dare go through the front door, for fear that my mother would find me and change my mind.

With my feet firmly planted on the ground outside my flat, I waved a final good-bye before heading to the Inverness bus station.