Chapter 14

Erik's POV:
As Mandie ran out from the wings at the end of the show, I was the first up on my feet as I clapped as loudly as I could for her. Although I knew any other of our classmates who were at the performance were probably not even cheering her on, I felt the desire to give her the ovation that she deserved after such a stellar performance.

"So when are you going to admit that I was right?" Nadir asked me as the curtain closed and the applause faded away.

"I cannot think of a single situation in which you were actually correct for once," I replied, unsure of what he was speaking of.

"For your information, I may not be as intelligent as you, nor do I believe any is, but that does not mean that I am not smart. Besides, it was quite apparent that I was right about this Mandie, she certainly does mean more to you than just being a classmate."

"Yes, I have told you that she is the only one who has accepted me, despite having my mask. Therefore, we have become friends, but we were not friends when first we met, so that means that you were not correct at the time, but only grew to be correct afterwards."

"Erik, stop this nonsense. You and I both know that you feel more passionately about her than you would if she were merely your friend. Erik, you love this woman, do you not?"

"Nadir, such an accusation is absurd! I mean how could I, a monster in every aspect, be able to fall in love with someone as perfect as she?"

"I saw the way you became enraged when that actor playing Dracula began to kiss Mandie. Your grip tightened on the program so that your knuckles turned white and it only worsened as he began to remove the layers that she wore and brought his lips down to her neck. The jealousy that filled your eyes when she returned his kiss and ripped open his shirt to reveal his bare chest-"

"Enough, Nadir!" I burst out, unable to handle him repainting the scene that had caused my heart such pain. I knew that Mandie had only been acting, but she was far too good of an actress for that knowledge to impact how I felt. "I do not love Mandie, she is only my friend. If I did react to that scene, it was only in anger because she had been put into the position where she had to act passionately with a fellow student who, like everyone else in this school, bullies her or else ignores her as though she is a piece of garbage. Now, if you would please excuse me, I am going to wait for Mandie to congratulate her on the performance. I suggest you return to the car and warm it up or something."

"Erik, how long are you going to deny your feelings for her?" I heard him ask as I walked away, but chose to ignore him as I made my way out of the auditorium and into the crowd of people who had gathered to take the cast members who were their family home.

My breath caught in my throat as I saw her appear in the hallway in order to meet her parents, whom I suspected had come to see the show. She still wore her stage makeup, apparently not having wanted to spend the time taking it off before leaving and her hair hung loosely down her back, freed from the ringlets she had pinned up for her wig. As she glanced around for her parents, her eyes met mine and she gave me a huge smile.

Seeming to forget about her search for her parents, she ran up to me and I wrapped my arms around her, "you were absolutely amazing, Mandie. I was completely stunned at the talent you expelled up there."

A blush came over her cheeks as she pulled away from the hug, "thank you, Erik, but I really am not that great."

"Mandie, I have heard many singers in my lifetime and your talent exceeds them all. The only difference is that your style is not operatic, so it is quite strange for me to listen to. Also, I am so familiar with the singer just standing on stage to sing, acting very minimally," I responded, thinking back to my time at the opera house. I suddenly remembered the bouquet of roses that I had brought her and held them out so that she could take them, "here, I got these for you."

"Oh Erik, they're beautiful! I am not worthy of this, you really shouldn't have," she replied, accepting the flowers as her eyes seemed to light up even more.

"Trust me, Mandie, if anyone deserves a bouquet of roses it is you. But I suppose you wish to find your parents before it gets too late. I shall see you at school on Monday, but until then I bid you farewell," I spoke, taking her hand and bringing it up to my lips before placing a kiss upon it.