Chapter 27

Mandie's POV:
I waited for Erik to return from his lesson before confronting him, not having the courage to do so before. While he was gone, I did as I always did and took that time in the music room which he forbade me from going in. I would play both his compositions as well as others lying about or would test my memory of pieces that I had played in the future.

I heard the alarm go off, a warning that someone was on the shore of the lake. I quickly made it seem as though I had never even been in the music room and then left, taking my candle with me and closing the door. With it in hand, I walked out toward the lake where Erik was just approaching the shore on the house side.

He ignored me as he got out of the gondola and tied it up on the post, then began to walk to the house. I immediately stepped into his path, speaking only his name to make him stop and listen to me.

"What do you want Mandie? I have to get going-" he began to inform me, but I cut him off.

"No you don't Erik, what you do need to do is listen to me," I replied, glaring at him.

"Fine, you have two minutes, after that I am going inside."

"Why have you been acting towards me this way? Back in my time, we were in love and I know that those kind of feelings do not dissipate over night! Here, you are only thinking of this Christine, whom you have known for only a month or two! Can't you see that I am suffering? Why do you choose this woman, who I am sure you are unaware of how she feels towards you, when you have someone who loves you and whom you once loved!"

"Perhaps it is because she is more talented than you are! I have finally found someone who is everything that I could have ever imagined, a true representation of an angel!"

"So you would just cast away the love that we shared?! For this woman, who could easily shun you because of your deformity, you would give up the love that we had fought so hard for! When I woke up here, I was relieved that I had finally returned to you! The happiness that I felt whenever I was with you returned to me and I was suddenly not disappointed that I hadn't succeeded in committing suicide, I had found something to live for! And then to have you treat me as though I was dirt on the side of the road, I realized that perhaps you had never loved me! Why was I brought here if only to suffer? Please, tell me this because I am going mad trying to figure it out myself!" I cried out, tears piercing my eyes and a few slipping down my cheeks.

He turned from me, as though unable to face my tear stained face, "when I first saw you, I was just as relieved as you were to have you by my side again, although I was not yet sure you would actually survive. But then I realized that I could not love you, I could not risk it, so instead I clung to Christine, hoping you would just assume that I had fallen for her instead."

"What are you saying? Have you not actually fallen in love with her? Erik, please tell me what is going on!"

"I cannot love you, Mandie, you need to understand this," he spoke, his voice revealing the pain that he concealed within. "You are not from this time, we have been sent back in forth through time without warning, once we are finally happy, you will be sent back to future and we will be separated again! I will not be able to live not knowing when we will be separated or when we will be reunited again! If I knew what was allowing us to travel through time, perhaps I could love you, but as of right now the risks are too great."

"So you would be willing to give up all of your happiness, just to keep from losing it? Erik, love is worth a few risks and in my opinion it is more important to enjoy what time we have together than to remain apart in fear we will be lost to one another."

"But I cannot find the strength to give in, I am too afraid of losing you," he replied, appearing to be fighting a losing battle.

"Then let me help you," I spoke, making him face me as I reached up and placed a kiss on his lips.

I could feel tears streaming down my face, but I could not tell if they were Erik's or my own as we continued the kiss. All of the love that had been bottled up inside me suddenly came pouring out as it did with him. Neither of us wanted to pull away, continuing the kiss as passion well up inside of us, clouding our minds.

I felt Erik pin me against the wall of the house, allowing his lips to travel down from my mouth down to my neck. My breathing was heavy as I tried to get enough oxygen into my body but it seemed to be an almost useless endeavor. A moan left my lips as he found a sensitive spot on my neck, which encouraged his to remain in that area, causing pleasure to pulse through my body.

Overwhelmed by my heightened sensations, I began to undress Erik, starting with his suit jacket and tie. I felt his hands play with the fastenings of the dress I wore, my breath getting caught in my throat as I realized what was happening. I began to feel conflicted, desperately wanting Erik, but not feeling sure that I was ready to take our relationship to the next step.

"Erik, I am sorry, I do not think I am ready for this," I spoke sheepishly, afraid of how he would react.

He looked up at me, as though reality was returning to his body and shook his head, "Mandie, you must not be ashamed of that, I should not have encouraged to become any more than a kiss. I will wait until you are ready, I certainly owe you that respect."

"But I do want you Erik, I just feel so conflicted!" I cried out, wishing that my body and mind could agree on if I wanted to continue or not.

"Do not worry about it, Mandie, we can wait as long as you would like," he assured me, kissing my forehead. "I am not planning on going anywhere."