Chapter 28

Mandie's POV:
Erik continued giving Christine lessons after I told him that he couldn't just abandon her when she needed his guidance so much. He confessed to me how he had been giving her lessons, which was something I disapproved of, but I suppose I understood why he felt the need to hide behind a facade.

While he was training Christine, he began to try to find me a job as I hated feeling as though he was supporting the two of us and I was doing nothing to help. He wanted to expose my talents, but I wasn't trained in opera singing, instead for musicals theatre so I couldn't become a singer and there wasn't an opening for a pianist at the opera house.

Although he did not want me to, I accepted a request for becoming a maid at the opera house. It did mean that I had less time to spend with him, but it also made me feel as though I was contributing something. I hated feeling like a burden and this allowed me to feel needed.

Erik and I had resumed our relationship that we had shared in the future, happily accepting the titles of boyfriend and girlfriend again. I was happier than I could have ever been, although sometimes I did wonder what my parents were facing in the future. Had I just disappeared with no trace or was I found dead? Were my parents suffering because their only child was gone?

"Are you ready, Mandie?" I heard Erik ask through my bedroom door, causing me to drift out of my thoughts.

"One moment, Erik!" I called back in response, quickly finishing up preparing for our date.

Erik had arranged a few things in the months that we had spent as boyfriend and girlfriend. Sometimes we would watch an opera together, where we would hide out in the opera box that he had control of. Other times he would make me an extravagant dinner or take me for a stroll around Paris at night when we could easily blend in with the shadows.

I stood from the seat at my vanity, allowing my gown to hang freely. It was of satin with a polka dotted tule overlay, lightly brushing the floor. It had tule of the shoulder sleeves and a very slight bustle in the back. I had had to adjust to such clothing of the time, but I found myself not minding the layers of clothing, knowing it was a small price to pay in order to be with the man I loved.

After quickly securing an aquamarine necklace around my throat, I ran to the bedroom door and opened it. Erik was waiting from me in the hallway, dressed in his normal pristine suit. He hesitated for a moment when I came into view, as though in shock. Just as I was about to ask if something was wrong, he cupped my cheek in his hand and brought his lips to mine.

"You look absolutely stunning," he breathed as he pulled away from the kiss.

I felt my cheeks heat up as I mumbled, "I'm really not that pretty."

"Mandie, you are like angel, how can you not understand that?" Erik questioned in response, his golden eyes filled with adoration. "But we must not spend the night bickering about your appearance, I hope you will be willing to follow me blindly tonight."

"I would follow you blindly any night," I assured him, accepting his arm and allowing for him to lead me out to the gondola.