4 - Ocean of Fear

Mark's P.O.V.:

Today was the day. The day that Jack and I would go to the beach. I was excited to hang out with him, but... I don't know if I'm going to be able to handle swimming with him. I was quite afraid, but I wanted this to be a special moment for Jack, as well. It made me happy just thinking about being with him. God, what the hell am I talking about? That childish ass? Jesus... I shook my head, before slipping on some shorts and flannel that was loosely draped over me, and stepped outside. Jack was walking toward my house, as he looked up and smiled.

"Hi." He said awkwardly, giggling a little. I smiled, as we headed for the beach.

"You look nervous... Is everything alright?" Jack frowned. I quickly tried to dismiss the emotion and nodded.

"O-Of course! Yeah! Yeah, everything's fine." I reassured. He eyed me suspiciously, but let it slide. My heart started beating faster, the ominous sound of occasional gusts of wind swirling in my mind. I shivered slightly, smelling the salty fresh air as we approached the beach. Jack giggled, taking my hand and running toward the water. My heart raced with him.

"H-Hey! Slow down!"

Jack trips in the sand, eating a mouth full of it. I cover my mouth trying not to snicker. He jumps up and scolds me, before diving head first into the ocean. I stay a good 10 feet away from shore.

"Mark! Get your ASS IN HERE!" Jack waved toward me. I clenched my teeth.

"I'll just make a sandcastle over here!" I shouted back. Jack got out the water and pulled me in, my breath hitching. I started shaking, my knees almost giving out.

"Hey, are you okay? You face looks really pale." Jack asked concerned. I sighed.

"Y-Yeah, I'm just..." I stuttered, feeling myself lose balance. My vision started fading, as Jack was preoccupied with swimming.

Shit.

Jack's P.O.V.:

I had been swimming around for a good five minutes before I faced in the direction of Mark again. He wasn't there.

"Mark? Mark, this isn't funny!" I said, feeling that he was going to swim underwater and attack me. I saw bubbles coming from the area I had left him in when my eyes widened in realization.

"MARK!" I screamed, diving underwater, and hesitantly opened my eyes to find him. He laid at the bottom of the ocean floor, as we were fifteen feet underwater and unconscious, not being able to get up. I reached his arm, pulling him up the surface and gasping for air. All of his weight put on me, I struggled to swim to shore. I pulled him onto the beach, trying to give him CPR.

Not working. I have to use mouth to mouth.

I really, really didn't want to do this, because I didn't want things to be awkward with us. But... I don't want him to die. I slammed my face into his, blowing into his mouth, and pushing on his chest all at once.

Again.

No luck.

Again.

Closer...

Once more...

He coughed up water as he gasped for air, staring at me.

"WHY DIDN'T YOU TELL ME YOU COULDN'T SWIM OR SOMETHING?!" I screamed. He jumped.

"I HAVE A FEAR OF THE OCEAN! I CAN SWIM!" Mark shouted, before pausing and staring at me blankly.

"Did you... give me mouth to mouth..." Mark mutters quietly. My face turned red.

"I DIDN'T WANT YOU TO DIE YOU STUPID IDIOT!"

"I'M NOT THE IDIOT, KISSING EVERYBODY I SEE!" Mark shouted, making kissy noises at me. I huffed.

"Did you like it?" Mark smirked and poked me.

"So what if I did?!" I yelled in defense. He chuckled.

"Whatever. Thanks, though... Really." Mark smiles at me. My heart skips a beat.

"N-No... problem."

-Time Skip~!-

I followed Mark back into his home to make sure he was okay.

"So... Are you scared of anything else?" I asked out of the blue. He though for a moment.

"Mannequins." He said simply, but clenching his teeth. I held back laughter.

"Oh." I simply said with a smile on my face. I strutted over to him, sitting down next to him.

"Why the hell do you go in if you were terrified of the ocean?" I asked. Mark twiddeled with his thumbs as his face turned beat red.

"Because... I didn't want you to be sad." Mark muttered. I blushed lightly.

"I'm not sad at all."

I wrapped my arms around him, hugging him in reassurance. He hugged me tightly.

"Thank you."