07

Things progressed fast in my relationship with Luke. He wasn't one to wait.

Game night was a success. It was a good time, filled with laughter and conversation and humouring the kids until they were too tired to carry on. Board games, cake, films and even more TV, spent cuddled up on the couch.

Like a family. One big, happy family.

Then Luke and I sat on the porch swing outside, once they had been tucked into bed and all the lights had been switched off.

It was cold, so I did the usual thing of cuddling into him. I was being like every other cliché teen in a movie, but I didn't care. Especially when Luke wrapped an arm around my waist and pulled me in close.

"Tonight was amazing," he smiled.

"It really was," I smiled back.

"I wouldn't mind doing this again," Luke hinted. I giggled.

"Why not?"

It didn't stop there. Game night led to many other nights— some without the kids, some with. It led to actually going out with Luke to numerous fancy restaurants and having someone else babysit Ellie and Corey, though it was never the same person twice.

Probably because of Ellie's animals. But when I brought it up, purely out of curiosity, Luke just brushed it off and claimed that it was okay. That it was alright, because not a lot of people understood. 

He said that I was different. He said that I understood him. And seeing as I was slowly spiralling down a path that had me fully convinced that nothing could go wrong, I didn't disagree.