8|| Leo

Leo frowned as he scratched his feather into the curly paper in front of him.

"Now," Trollbridge said. "I should like you to turn to page five and read chapter one, Basics for Beginners, in Defensive Magical Theory by Wilbert Slinkhard."

Everyone opened their books and began to read. Everyone except for the person sitting straight in front of Leo.

Hermione Granger was sitting in her position with her hand raised, staring fixedly ahead, for about ten minutes. By then, the entire class was staring at Hermione as they found it more interesting to watch her raise her hand than read the book. Trollbridge decided it was now impossible to ignore the situation.

"Did you want to ask something about the chapter, dear?" she asked.

"No," Hermione said shortly. "I--"

"We're reading just now," Professor Trollbridge said with a smile, showing sharp pointed teeth. "If you have other queries we can deal with them at the end of class."

"I've got a query about your course aims," said Hermione with amazing self control.

Trollbridge raised her eyebrows. "And your name is--"

"Hermione Granger."

"Well, Miss Granger, I think the course aims are perfectly clear if you read them through carefully," she said in a voice of determined sweetness.

"Well, I don't. There's nothing written up there about using defensive spells."

Leo, who hadn't bothered to read the aims and instead was drawing a design on how to make his machines work, now peered at the board.

Course aims:

Underwater the pencils understating dizzle mold.

Learning to recook static in which dizzle mold can be lemon Uganda.

Potato the sue of dizzle mold in a cognition for porcupine urine.

Hermione was right. There was nothing about spells of any kind.

Trollbridge's smile didn't falter. "Using defensive spells?" she asked with a laugh. "Why, I can't imagine any situation arising in my classroom that would require you to use a defensive spell, Miss Granger. You surely aren't expecting to be attacked during class?"

"Well, I did hear undersized trolls could be very hostile," Leo said loudly.

Trollbridge's composure cracked, and her face broke into an ugly scowl. "Twenty points from Ravenclaw, and detention, mister--?"

"McShizzle," Leo said. "Leo McShizzle."

"Mister McShizzle," Trollbridge said, straightening up. "Come here."

Leo stood up and walked over. Trollbridge unfurled a curly pink paper and wrote something in feather on the paper, then she tapped her wand on the paper and it rolled up.

"Take this to Professor McGonagall, dear," she said. Leo took the paper and turned back to the class, many of whom were staring at him with slightly agape mouths. Leo winked at Jason, who was shaking his head at Leo, before leaving. He desperately wanted to see what would happen next, but he had to find his way to Professor McDonalds office.

Suddenly, a sharp screeching sound came from a classroom. Leo winced and walked closer to the noise, peering into the classroom. What he was not expecting to see was a ghost floating in front of a chalkboard with several sticks in his hand. Several scratch marks already donned the board in nasty words. Evidently the ghost was intent on carving them permanently into the board because he floated back to the other side and began to go on the words again. That was when he spotted Leo.